Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
No, I knew that Jim. I was asking the same thing as you "This......." regarding the return shiping.

We've (you and I) talked about the return shipping here before, and we both thought it was a big deterrent to trying them out.
Oh ok. I was reading it wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
From what I understand of physics (I'm certainly no expert), I agree that it is not possible for them to balance themselves by centrifugal force because the blade system is rigidly mounted to the spindle. If it were not a rigid mount, then it would be possible for the system to self balance by rotating around it's mass center axis. But that is not possible when connected to rigid shaft and bearing.
YOU and Greg are both correct. Simply because they're spinning on a disk won't/doesn't make them balanced. Referring to how they balance truck wheels and tires, Meg-Mo is still wrong. They don't balance them simply by spinning them at high speed, they obviously use the machine to determine where the wheel needs weight to balance it, the stop it and add weight as needed. All the centrifugal force does is keep the blades swung out into the cutting position.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
YOU and Greg are both correct. Simply because they're spinning on a disk won't/doesn't make them balanced. Referring to how they balance truck wheels and tires, Meg-Mo is still wrong. They don't balance them simply by spinning them at high speed, they obviously use the machine to determine where the wheel needs weight to balance it, the stop it and add weight as needed. All the centrifugal force does is keep the blades swung out into the cutting position.
Thats what I was thinking.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Sponsor

balance

To all that think the Meg Mo blades do not balance them self you need to do more looking and resurech. The Meg Mo blades are 100% balanced when they are running. Sorry but we have not had to put a bearing any of our mowers in the last 19 years. The Meg Mo blades do work and the people with a farm back ground that have used the disc mower for the last 30 years know what they did to mowing hay and road ways .
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg-Mo View Post
To all that think the Meg Mo blades do not balance them self you need to do more looking and resurech. The Meg Mo blades are 100% balanced when they are running. Sorry but we have not had to put a bearing any of our mowers in the last 19 years. The Meg Mo blades do work and the people with a farm back ground that have used the disc mower for the last 30 years know what they did to mowing hay and road ways .
Could you please explain how the system can self balance simply from centrifugal force. My understanding is that the blades are all independently mounted to a rigid disk that is mounted to the spindle (a rigid mount). In order for the system to be in balance, the center of mass of the blade system has to be the same as the center of rotation (the spindle). How does your system maintain it's center of mass at the center of rotation if the knives are not of equal weight and not fixed in position? It seems to me that your system would be in a perpetual state of imbalance actually because the knives are not fixed in position, so the center of mass would constantly be changing. Perhaps you could have your engineer explain it to us?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Again: Please proof read your post before you post. If I sent a message with those kind of grammar deficiencies to a customer I would not expect a return message. So I think I have decided against megmo blades for these reasons:
1)The company doesn't stand behind their product 100%
2)The monetary risk involved is to great to just "give it a shot"
3)The negative post on this forum regarding the product far outnumber the positive
4)Meg-Mos rep on here has yet to give a satisfactory answer to the balance question with proof other than because I said so.
5)Daryl, this is for you. I feel that the "engineer" just gave a bs reply
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

was not impresssed w/ meg mos..ordered 2 sets. They clumped worse than doubles.

now i just use 2 low lift blades per spindle.

like this +
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Again: Please proof read your post before you post. If I sent a message with those kind of grammar deficiencies to a customer I would not expect a return message. So I think I have decided against megmo blades for these reasons:
1)The company doesn't stand behind their product 100%
2)The monetary risk involved is to great to just "give it a shot"
3)The negative post on this forum regarding the product far outnumber the positive
4)Meg-Mos rep on here has yet to give a satisfactory answer to the balance question with proof other than because I said so.
5)Daryl, this is for you. I feel that the "engineer" just gave a bs reply
Posted via Mobile Device
RLC-

From reading past posts by Meg-Mo, I believe he is the inventor of the system, not just the rep here on LawnSite, so he of all people should be able to answer these questions for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg-Mo
Meg-Mo-
I don't wish to sound like we are all ganging up on you here, but you have made some pretty ridiculous statements about your blades being self balancing. It simply isn't so, at least not as you have described the process here. I am fairly familiar with the disk mower, and they are awesome for what they are designed for, but that is not leaving a manicured finish as is needed in lawn care. They are designed to cut tall, course crops at fast speeds, without concern for what the finished cut looks like as long as all the crop gets cut properly at the preset height of cut. If you want to equate your blades to a disk mower, then your blades must leave a very course finish, because a disk mower certainly does when compared to a finish mower. A disk mower simply cuts at the high speeds needed to be productive in farming operations. They aren't designed to leave a manicured look, and they certainly don't mulch the cut hay or any other crop they may be used in/on. The rollers on the disk mower do the processing of the crop, not the blades themselves, and neither the blades nor the rollers mulch.

I think you have an interesting product, and really like the four blade idea, but the initial costs are high, especially if someone finds that the system isn't what they expected, or doesn't work on their mower as needed, and has to pay for return shipping. I dont think trying to make it into more than it is with wild claims, is honest and fair to your potential customers either.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-20-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I did some more "resurech" and found this old thread. While it really doesn't answer the question of how the blades self balance, it does let me know that this question has been around long enough that, if it were true, a clear explanation could have been formulated by now.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ght=meg-mo%27s
Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a good thread. Old but informative
Posted via Mobile Device