Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Pond I just finished

Here is a pond I just finished. Its around 12'x15' and 3.5' deep. This is the second pond I have worked on and the first pond build I have done since I had my own business.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Overall not bad for your second pond. I'm not a big fan of the white marble lookn rock I would ha ve just ran the mulch straight to the pond to soften it out.. Also vary your stone size up more you went from big to small but there is no medium. Up around the waterfall on the left take all those small out n simple add some medium size two or would be good and then add your smaller pieces to blend.. One major no no is using slate as your waterfall. I know why you did it cause its easier to create a waterfall with, I myself used them years ago until I learned how to use natural stone and to use the shapes of the stone to create with. You have a good eye for placement just need to tweek your train of thought and aproach remeber its suppose to be natural looking. Nowhere on this planet is slate and round stone found together. A good book would be the rise method to get better ideas.. Good job though and good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks turner. The rocks for the water fall are not slate the are flat field stone that was found on site. Also the rocks around the out side really are not as white as the appear in the picture they are sold as 1" river stone and have more of yellows and browns then they appear to. I hear what you are saying about med. size stones. Most of the stones we used were already on site or had been stored at my shop from other jobs. By the time we got to the outside of the pond we did not have as many med rock as I would have liked. I will try and get some better pics next time I go back to the site. Thanks for your reply there is always room for improvement, if I ever get another opportunity to build a pond I will work on the things you said.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Overall not bad for your second pond. I'm not a big fan of the white marble lookn rock I would ha ve just ran the mulch straight to the pond to soften it out.. Also vary your stone size up more you went from big to small but there is no medium. Up around the waterfall on the left take all those small out n simple add some medium size two or would be good and then add your smaller pieces to blend.. One major no no is using slate as your waterfall. I know why you did it cause its easier to create a waterfall with, I myself used them years ago until I learned how to use natural stone and to use the shapes of the stone to create with. You have a good eye for placement just need to tweek your train of thought and aproach remeber its suppose to be natural looking. Nowhere on this planet is slate and round stone found together. A good book would be the rise method to get better ideas.. Good job though and good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
What he said + the addition of a Water Lily and maybe a few more emergents.

Is that a potted plant behind the waterfall or is it planted directly in the waterfall reservoir?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the plant is in a pot in the waterfall resivor. The customers are going to take care of the plants and fish, I was just in charge of the build. I agree with the muclh being a softer look but wanted to leave a buffer zone between the mulch and pond because I was worried that the mulch would get in it. The coustomers are friends of my and they new my experiance level before I started. They are aware that a few thing will need to be tweaked along the way to make it better. I was happy that they let me build it so I could learn more about the process. Knowing them by next season not only will the pond be filled with plants but so will the area around it helping to make it look a little more natural and not stand out as much as it does now. Thanks for the ideas and replies.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hang with it, keep an open mind, treat each new installation as a complete learning experience and you should do OK. Start learning not only about plants and fish, but about the entire biological structure of aquatic eco-systems. One day, in the not too distant future, a potential customer will ask you a question to which they will expect you to KNOW the correct answer. Good luck and start reading!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I went in to this pond pretty blind. I worked with a local supplier/installer who told me what I needed and is also helping (selling) the plants and supplies to the customer. Before this opportunity I only helped build a large 3 section pond while working for another company and never really put much thought into pond building until now. I primarily do landscape installation and hardscapes and spend a lot of time on the web researching different aspects of the trade. Up until now I never look at this section of lawn site, but I will be reading it all the time from now on.