Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

On a serious note. Too this day I wish I would have finished coillege. I'm in the process now of building my Business back up, so I can quit the police depot and go back to school and finish my Horticulture Degree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think that being 16 is your biggest draw-back.

Even if it is a business, people understand you are still going to school and doing 16 year stuff, so they don't don't perceive any 16 year old having an actual business and taking it seriously. Ultimately they don't think a 16 year old has time for a business and think it's just extra money.

When I was growing up, I worked on my farm and was making more money weekly during the busy season than most part-time teachers. Some weeks I worked 40 hours +.

It's just a misconception that a young person can't or shouldn't have an actual business.

As for low-balling Dutch, we've all been there. When starting a business you need to generate income, and sometimes you might go a bit lower on a service just to get that income in the infancy of a business.

Anyone who says they never low-balled anything is lying. I'm sure that when starting any business, there has been times where they needed any income they could get so they might have priced something a bit lower than they felt comfortable with until they could actually establish their business and price things accordingly. I know I've done it in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised if I ever have to do it again, but with what I do, if I can provide a good price for smaller services, then usually it leads to bigger work.

Once you've got the client base and steady income stream, then the clients will request you specifically if you do quality work. At that point, you can charge what you feel is fair to you, and fair to your new clients.

I'm sure you have plenty of pride in what you do Dutch, but realize you are still young, so when people make comments that rub you the wrong way, just shrug them off and use it as motivation to make your business bigger and better.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I think that being 16 is your biggest draw-back.

Even if it is a business, people understand you are still going to school and doing 16 year stuff, so they don't don't perceive any 16 year old having an actual business and taking it seriously. Ultimately they don't think a 16 year old has time for a business and think it's just extra money.

When I was growing up, I worked on my farm and was making more money weekly during the busy season than most part-time teachers. Some weeks I worked 40 hours +.

It's just a misconception that a young person can't or shouldn't have an actual business.

As for low-balling Dutch, we've all been there. When starting a business you need to generate income, and sometimes you might go a bit lower on a service just to get that income in the infancy of a business.

Anyone who says they never low-balled anything is lying. I'm sure that when starting any business, there has been times where they needed any income they could get so they might have priced something a bit lower than they felt comfortable with until they could actually establish their business and price things accordingly. I know I've done it in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised if I ever have to do it again, but with what I do, if I can provide a good price for smaller services, then usually it leads to bigger work.

Once you've got the client base and steady income stream, then the clients will request you specifically if you do quality work. At that point, you can charge what you feel is fair to you, and fair to your new clients.

I'm sure you have plenty of pride in what you do Dutch, but realize you are still young, so when people make comments that rub you the wrong way, just shrug them off and use it as motivation to make your business bigger and better.

yes we've all low balled and sometimes some of us still do once in awhile.

i always keep that in mind. any income is better than none. thats why i still have clients under my "old" pricing.

when i started this business my min. was $20. i'm up to $25 as a min now but if i raise the $20's to $25 i will loose there business and since i don't have that many that are $20 and i make up for it elsewhere i'm ok with that.

i'm not suggesting you low ball all the time to get as many clients as possible but if your not really taking a hit low balling now and then. sometimes any income is better than none.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
As for low-balling Dutch, we've all been there.
Thanks for the reply's to every one. Really appreciate it and makes me wanna do even better.

As for low-balling i figured a lot of people do, and white that just made feel just a little bit better about it(even though its not good to low bal) Anyways I'm at a point right now that I know my expenses and charge accordingly.

Now to the whole school thing, i have been seriously considering pennt state simply because they have such a good agriculture program. And maybe do a double major in agriculture and business. Just something im considering. Will definitely think about it more ones the cold starts kicking in and business starts to slow down. (sorta can and cant wait for that)

Anyways just wanna thank you guys again! Just shows how good of a community this site has
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have been seriously considering pennt state simply because they have such a good agriculture program. And maybe do a double major in agriculture and business.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't feel bad...i'm 36 and i get the same responses....they don't think of lawncare as a full time job....they ask me well what do you do in the winter for work?...i say nothing...that's the point of it!!!...you get time off....it's like they don't get it.....you can make enough cutting the 7-8 months of the season here in the south so you don't even need to work the other 4-5 months of the year.....i dunno man...people are caught up in this whole go the school get a degree get a job working 40hrs a week with benefits thing....everyone is different but few see the advantages that lawn care can bring to your life...trust me i know how it is...i worked at an auto factory for 6 years....great pay and benefits but my life flat out sucked....i hated going to work every day...i was depressed....tired all the time...never got enough sleep....and so on and so on.......yet that was looked at by the majority as a respectable career???....it just doesn't make sense to me the way people look at things.....life is far more important than that.....now i work maybe 25-30hrs a week.....hardly ever more than 6hrs in a day...usually less....7-8 months out of the year....i'm not tired when i'm done working...my feet don't hurt at all...i'm still fresh...can go running and excercise which is better for my health...something i could never do working my other job since i was so wore out at the end of the day....i make double...yes double per hour i made at my factory job....$50 per hour instead of $25......it's easier work...much easier.....and more fun......i'm not depressed.....i mean overall i make less money than i did since i dont' work all year long but who cares...the positives from it are more than worth it to me....now to me seeing how this is...i think it's foolish to ever work for anyone ever again doing the 40-50hr per week grind....to each their own though....it's all in what you like and what type of person you are.....to me it's just freedom...when you work for someone else you have to be there no matter what and do whatever they say...when you work for yourself you call your own shots and make your life how you want it to be.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutch16 View Post
Sooo lately a lot of people ask me where do you work. I just tell i mow lawns for my self. 9/10 times I get a response like this, Mowing is not a job... its just so that you can make a little extra money.

Now can some one please explain to me how the hell mowing is not a job?! I mean i work probably harder then them who work at a fast food restaurant or where ever they get hired. I just dont get it! Its probably just the youth of these siting on there lazy asses playing xbox all day.

Oh im 16 btw and mow 8 lawns.

Sorry guys i just had to vent about it. it was just really making me mad saying that mowing isnt a job. I mean i know its not a fully established business yet but im getting closer and closer and really do work hard to get it a fully established business.
You have to tell them that you're the owner and operator of a lawn maintenace company, not that you mow lawns!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Check this out. A BUSINESS IS A JOB AND A JOB CAN BECOME A BUSINESS; WITH AN EDUCATION.

CHECK OUT THIS WEB SITE, AND THE JOB PERCENTAGE OF NO HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION THROUGH A BACHELORS? YOU DO THE MATH.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t04.htm

NOW I MAY BE ONE SIDED SEEING THAT I A TEACHER IN A HIGH SCHOOL AND RUN A FULL TIME LANDSCAPING BUSINESS. HOWEVER, AN EDUCATION WILL OPEN MORE DOORS IN THE LONG RUN. SAVE MOST OF YOUR MONEY FOR AN EDUCATION AND SPEND SOME ON GIRLS AND CARS WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH, THAN BEER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
best thing to do is stay in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree. Who do you think many of those lowballers are? College grads who can't find work or those that had a good job then got laid off. You are way ahead of the game working and earning money right after high school instead of partying four years in some diploma mill, getting yourself $200K in debt then not finding work.

Don't get me started on how 50% of kids do not belong in college. If you don't have a clear goal and an excellent chance of employment upon graduation in your field when you enter a college you don't belong there.

On of the reasons this country is in the mess it's in is because of thinking like yours. We have a generation whose parents, mostly hard workers like ourselves back in the 50's, wanted a "better life" for their kids. So every kid had to have a college education and the result was they don't want to get their hands dirty, have an attitude towards those who do and feel entitled to as much money as possible.

Being in the trades or doing manual work today is considered a stigma and so our workforce is rapidly declining as we retire and our sons or daughters aren't taking our places as they once did. So we are inundated with illegals "doing the work nobody wants to do".

There's the rest of your lowballers.

Last edited by land_scaper70; 09-22-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_scaper70 View Post

NOW I MAY BE ONE SIDED SEEING THAT I A TEACHER IN A HIGH SCHOOL AND RUN A FULL TIME LANDSCAPING BUSINESS. HOWEVER, AN EDUCATION WILL OPEN MORE DOORS IN THE LONG RUN. SAVE MOST OF YOUR MONEY FOR AN EDUCATION AND SPEND SOME ON GIRLS AND CARS WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE OLD ENOUGH, THAN BEER.
Teacher? Must be a public school Just Kidding
Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
best thing to do is stay in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being in the trades or doing manual work today is considered a stigma and so our workforce is rapidly declining as we retire and our sons or daughters aren't taking our places as they once did. So we are inundated with illegals "doing the work nobody wants to do".

There's the rest of your lowballers.
Agreed. I'm reading a great book right now called "Shop Class As Soul Craft," which studies the decline of the skilled trades over the last 30 years in favor of the "information revolution" and sitting around a desk being a yes-man, rubber stamping someone else's "work."

With that being said, i think there is a fine line between some 'landscapers' and 'skilled tradesmen.' IMHO, a true skilled trade would be the guy in your town that's respected as the top landscape equipment mechanic. Now there is certainly a certain amount of skill and trade to landscape design, hardscapes, and even some general lawn maintenance. But just running a midsize over a yard as fast as you can, edging, then blowing, all in as little time as possible, is not much more than a commodity these days, so you can't be surprised when that type of work is subject to 'lowballers.'