Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brush or spray

I spray 99.5% of my residential customers, but a few would like it brushed on. Bushing for me takes longer and had more call backs for touch up spots. Bushing works for me but only on flat driveways with no low spots. Spraying for me has worked well and we have minimized the brush in some cut in areas by using boards around the curbing and other surfaces areas. I am not bagging on brushing I see allot of guy doing it and some places that's all you can do.

What method do you prefer and why?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Brush or spray

I think whatever you are most comfortable with is what you have to go with.
I prefer to brush. I mostly work by myself, and my feeling is if I am doing 10 1000 sq. ft. drives today by myself, how many more will I be able to do if I spray??? I would need 2 laborers, to hold boards and hose, will i then be able to do 4 more driveways to make up the difference??? I dont think I can. A 1000 sq ft drive will take me 25-35 min. How much faster can you spray it??
What does the customer want and can you sell your service to him if he asks for something different? Most of my work is from repeat and referrall, so they have either had work done or saw a job I did. So all rolls back to what your comfy with.
Just my opinion you asked for!! Worth what you paid for it!!
Been a rough year, but ending well so far!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tuesday, we did 9500 sqf. of driveway and about 200 ft. hot crack fill, left the shop at 7:30 and were back by 1:30 1 helper. I can't do most of my jobs with out help, to many lined up and to many rainy days over the past 2 months. Today we did just sealing and about 11000 sqf. the smallest being about 1800 sqf. cut in at the house and sidewalk at the end of the drive sprayed the rest and was done in about 20 min. We also landed the house next to them I found out from my wife when I got home. We did a small townhome complex last year, the front units had 900 sqf. drives and we were doing 12 at a time with 3 guys in 2.5 hours. You can move when spraying and all three of my helpers have been with me for years this is a plus with out them I couldn't do the volume.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Sponsor

Spray Cost by the foot?

How much can I charge for spray coating? Is it by the square foot?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerProjects View Post
How much can I charge for spray coating? Is it by the square foot?
Yes as a rule of thumb you wil want to base your estimates on price per individual unit square foot. And never give a "blind estimate" and what i mean by a blind estimate is when a potential customer says "Can you eyeball it and give me an approximate price". A lot of times a customer will sense you might be new in the business of seal coating and they will ask you this type of question trying to figure out if you know what you are doing. Always tell them that is what is called a blind estimate and you learned long ago not to price any type of job without breaking it down on paper first.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I often have potential customers with new driveways who insist the sealing be done with a squeegee. Some of these drives do not appear to have been rolled down very tight and are extremely coarse with very noticeable crevices between the aggregate. I usually explain to the customer that using a squeegee on this type of loosely compacted surface would require almost twice as much sealer as opposed to a more tightly compacted surface. So i bid these at 75% higher per square foot which usually adds up to a much higher price which so far none of these property owners have agreed to pay.

Ive never used a brush to do a sealer application but i have used a squeegee.

Im wondering if a brush application would be more suitable than using a squeegee on one of these more loosely compacted driveways.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOY2008 View Post
I often have potential customers with new driveways who insist the sealing be done with a squeegee. Some of these drives do not appear to have been rolled down very tight and are extremely coarse with very noticeable crevices between the aggregate. I usually explain to the customer that using a squeegee on this type of loosely compacted surface would require almost twice as much sealer as opposed to a more tightly compacted surface. So i bid these at 75% higher per square foot which usually adds up to a much higher price which so far none of these property owners have agreed to pay.

Ive never used a brush to do a sealer application but i have used a squeegee.

I'm wondering if a brush application would be more suitable than using a squeegee on one of these more loosely compacted driveways.
I do have a squeegee's but don't use them much at all. Try it with a brush and see how it works out for you. It will get into the open aggregate better but limit how much you lay down and how far you spread it. I found that dragging the material to far will cause some of the sand to separate from the sealer and you end up with something that looks like pudding.