Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dodge dump truck w/ V10

Ok guys I was going to get out of the business but with the economy the way it is I am just going to keep on doing what I am doing. A little about my business I started in 1999 and I have cut back to just me and possibly one other guy when I need the extra help. I do everything from mowing, mulch, shrub trimming and snow removal. Right now I am very small because I was going to get out but I'm going to go ahead and stay in for awhile longer. I have a 16' enclosed trailer which houses my Deere Z930A 60" mulch on demand and my 52" Scag Pro V walkbehind as well as all my handheld stuff. My customer right now are 3 large commercial properties and one residential lawn. All the commercial properties I do everything at. So here is my point and my question. I have a 2007 Nissan Titan that I pull my stuff with now but I don't want to put a plow on it. I have found a super nice 2001 dodge 4 wheel drive dump truck. My budget is limited and I am thinking I will just sell or trade the Titan for the dodge. My only concern is reliability on the dodge since it is a V10 and not the cummins. So what would you guys do if you were me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh the Dodge has only 51,000 miles on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Fuel Mileage isnt the best, but you will be fine. We ran one to 200k miles and no major issues. I think there was a few issues with the early V10's, but towards the end of their production run they turned out to be a good motor
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Problem is the v10 is going to suck up the gas. Enough to say keep your current truck to landscape with and the V10 to plow with.

Plowing puts a lot a wear on a truck. I can see it having a dump being handy if you don't have a dump trailer. Thing is how often do you need a dump now?

I think if you wanted one truck or can only afford one truck to landscape and plow then a 1/2 or 3/4 ton with a 350 to be better suited then a v 10.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Considering hes only got 4 accounts he wont be doing THAT much driving between accounts, so i really woulden't worry about the gas consumption. As for the reliability of a v10 i woulden't worry about it too much we have 100k on our v10 with no problems.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could afford to have both trucks as I love my Titan. I would use a dump more often if I had one and I won't be stuck on four accounts long as I am planning a marketing blitz here this fall to line up a bunch more work. Thing I thought about doing is just renting a skid loader this winter and buying a push box but if we don't get any snow I am screwed big time. At least with the truck I can use it year around and I am not out anything really besides the cost of installing the plow. Have you guys had any transmission issues with your trucks? Seems to be a common problem with Dodge. That is really about the only thing that is a concern. I'm going to talk to the dealer Monday and see if I can take it to may buddy that is a mechanic so we can check it out with a fine toothed comb. They only want $14,900 but I think I'm going to offer 11,500 out the door.
Posted via Mobile Device