Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Oh ye of little faith - those manifolds last and last (knock wood) ~ Thank you Richdel
At least until after your warrant expires right?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

some of the inspiration (or blame) goes to Lloyd King, who made a very good PVC manifold tee and manifold cross, that just happened to give you room to unthread a Richdel R204 valve, when the fittings were glued together in the manner shown - when those fittings went off the market, I 'rolled my own' with sch 40 tees/crosses and sch 80 TOE nipples
Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Gray fittings? WTF R U talking about I know the difference between SCD 80 & SCD 40. Does that mean I shouldn't use a gray fitting for irrigation, ever?
Electrical conduit fittings (gray) are different in that they are not tapered. WTF R U Talkin' abut?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Electrical conduit fittings (gray) are different in that they are not tapered. WTF R U Talkin' abut?
Does that apply to SCD 80 threaded nipples & SCD 80 threaded unions too? I don't use SCD 80 slip fittings on SCD 40 pipe.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does not apply to any pressure rated PVC fittings. Electrical conduit fittings only.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OMG What a Night Mare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
GACK, is that your handywork? I take it you weren't planning on coming back to this particular job site.

As an aside, I'm not so sure I'd ever put in a valve I had to glue in, threaded only and then only Irritrol or Rainbird.

Chinese CRAP... not made to US specs and then each Chinese manufacturer has a slightly different understanding what US specs are. I've gotten Chinese fittings and the SCD 40 just turns freely inside. I'm afraid to glue it. Now I have to check that the pipe will fit securely in the fittings before I buy bulk. I'll be FUBARED when they start making PVC pipe...
jvanvliet

I caught this thread my mistake. I normally don't read the Irrigation forum. But lets us at least give Wet Boots credit for not stacking his manifold Vertical like I have seen others do. It always amazed me when I have seen some of these Short Bus installs. It makes me wonder now these guys find their way home. Sorry but if I had a tech do an install like that. It would simply be the last one he ever did for me. At least put longer nipples in so the Valve bodies could be changed. Grant you 99% of the time you only need to change the guts. But what about that 1 %??????? With that many valves you have a better change of having one bad one that doesn't show up until you test the system.

I got out of the Irrigation part of the business when $ 1100.00 City water hooks up became common in my area. These were 3 zone system on 8 zone property. Service calls where a nightmare because no matter what you did Coverage was impossible to get. It started with a price war between two jerks.

BTW Here in Florida we don't have frozen ground or do we drain Irrigation systems for the winter. I would think with the Freeze line being as deep as it is in NY you would want to design for easier maintenance. Oops Never Mind. I forgot NY is a Blue State and could care less about the future generations.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spinning out a valve from within the box was never a priority on any install I ever saw, even before I undertook install work myself. If it were, we would all be using male-end valves and union fittings.

Obviously, there is a high degree of trust in the valve bodies not needing to be replaced {knock wood }
Old 09-25-2011, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only time I've ever replaced a W*M valve body is when we've put WAAAY too much air into the system.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Does not apply to any pressure rated PVC fittings. Electrical conduit fittings only.
Thank you, as always, you are entirely correct.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Look pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
The only time I've ever replaced a W*M valve body is when we've put WAAAY too much air into the system.
We don't use air to blow out the valves,

Usually the building contractors economy T and discount house thrust block give way first.
Attached Images