Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo pb-770h/t

I have been reading on lawnsite for several years, but this is my first post. I've been looking at buying a blower this fall. From all the reviews, I've decided to get the echo pb-770t, instead of the stihl br 600 magnum. I've been heavily researching the echo blower the past few weeks, and I'm pretty sure the specs for the blower were 765 cfm and 204 mph. If you go to echo's website now it says 756 cfm and 234 mph. Can anyone else confirm this, or is it just a mistake? Have they updated the blower and changed something small? I think a 9 cfm hit would be worth it to go from 204 mph to 234, wouldn't it?

Shane
Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd happily give up 9 cfm for another 30 mph. I have to wonder as well what was changed? When it comes to moving debris, cfm is the most important thing, but losing only 9 for that big a gain in air speed seems like a no brainer to me.

I'm not knocking your choice here, just curious why you chose the Echo over the Stihl? Both are great machines. Is it because of the slightly higher cfm from the Echo, or was it because of the valves in the Stihl? I have heard several guys now say that they can't detect any real difference between the two when in actual use performancewise.

I like the Stihl because it is quieter, lighter by 2 1/4 lbs (which adds up over several hours of continuous use), and because it felt more comfortable when trying them both on side by side.

What tipped the scale for you?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I like Echo equipment too, but I do have the Stihl farm boss chain saw and ht 131 pole saw. I like the Echo because I have a good relationship with the local Echo dealership. The Stihl dealership around my town is not even open on Saturdays, and Home Depot carries the smaller parts, like plugs, fuel filters, bump knobs for an emergency back up. I don't think they carry Stihl parts. I love my PB755t blowers.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I actually prefer stihl equipment most of the time. I personally think they look better and run well. This decision was pretty tough for me because of that. I like the way the stihl looks, and I love the gas cap (since they resdesigned it because of ethanal). I know a lot of people hate that gas cap but I like it. The 4 mix doesn't bother me a bit, as I have a stihl fs 110r. I have had it over a year and it still starts on the full pull most the time without even choking.

I also like how the echo looks, but I don't like the gas cap as much. It just feels cheaper, almost like the plastic is literally cheaper. It also ways a little bit more, but I don't think that will bother me too much. I'm not too tall, but I'm not a small guy either and can handle the weight.

It ended up coming down to the fact that the echo had a little more cfm, and many more positive reviews. The majority of people said you can tell the difference, although it wasn't much. The major deciding factor was the vent for your back, and the straps look a lot more full and comfortable. I figure the little extra weight would be offset by the better straps and the vent will be great.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip25521 View Post
Well, I actually prefer stihl equipment most of the time. I personally think they look better and run well. This decision was pretty tough for me because of that. I like the way the stihl looks, and I love the gas cap (since they resdesigned it because of ethanal). I know a lot of people hate that gas cap but I like it. The 4 mix doesn't bother me a bit, as I have a stihl fs 110r. I have had it over a year and it still starts on the full pull most the time without even choking.

I also like how the echo looks, but I don't like the gas cap as much. It just feels cheaper, almost like the plastic is literally cheaper. It also ways a little bit more, but I don't think that will bother me too much. I'm not too tall, but I'm not a small guy either and can handle the weight.

It ended up coming down to the fact that the echo had a little more cfm, and many more positive reviews. The majority of people said you can tell the difference, although it wasn't much. The major deciding factor was the vent for your back, and the straps look a lot more full and comfortable. I figure the little extra weight would be offset by the better straps and the vent will be great.
Well, after you use it for a while let us know how you like it. All the info that gets posted is helpful to everyone else here who may be considering a new piece of equipment.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

After I get it and use it I'll put up a review about it. If it wasn't for this site, it would have been the br-600 for me. It was the only thing on my mind until I started reading more reviews. I'm hoping it really amazes me, and it these new numbers are accurate I think it will be even better. Like you said, I don't mind giving up 9 cfm for 30 mph extra.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You'll love the 755. I got one a few weeks ago. It really blows a lot of air. You'll have to really watch the rocks and mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

It's strange if you look up the echo pb-770 in google it still says 204 mph and 765 cfm on all the sites where you can buy it. Echo's website still says 234 mph and 756 cfm for the pb-770t and pb-770h. I think they would have caught it by now, if it was a mistake. I wonder what the differences are.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
You'll love the 755. I got one a few weeks ago. It really blows a lot of air. You'll have to really watch the rocks and mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oops it should say 770. I was doing something else at the time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip25521 View Post
After I get it and use it I'll put up a review about it. If it wasn't for this site, it would have been the br-600 for me. It was the only thing on my mind until I started reading more reviews. I'm hoping it really amazes me, and it these new numbers are accurate I think it will be even better. Like you said, I don't mind giving up 9 cfm for 30 mph extra.
Is there any reason that you passed on the Redmax 8500? That's the biggest dog out right now, and well ahead of both Stihl and Echo on performance. I picked one up at the dealer the other day and compared it to both the other two blowers. It's definately heavier, but you get the performance to go with it.

http://www.redmax.com/node3936.aspx?nid=158989

Tags
echo , echo backpack blower , new from echo , pb-770