Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dump bed question

i recently purchased a my 2500hd and was looking into a dump bed conversion,
I don't plan on hauling soil or rock with is, mostly leaves, grass, and mulch.
i have read other posts about the strength of the bed when used as the dump body, but i load it up the same with out dumping now.

would my bed be ok with these types of loads?

Could the bed handle a leaf box on it?

most of my lawns are pretty small as i live in a beach town, my biggest one is about half an acre and it's in the next town.

thanks for the help
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

bump to the top

Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ehhhhhh................... I've seen it done. I've Never done it though.
But one thing that caught my eye is that you are saying you wont be carrying soil or rock....but you will be carrying leaves. to me it sounds like you are saying there is a HUGE difference....

Dont think about what the material is, Because it doesnt matter. At the end of the day, It comes down to WEIGHT! Because a truck load Of wet leaves could weigh as much as "soil" How much i dont know off the top of my head but yeah thing weight.

Moving on..... Right now the force of everything in you bed is being transferred to your trucks frame. Not the actual bed. Once you lift the bed up that upwards force is now on the front of the bed where the hoist is attached to..

Im sure for small loads you would be fine but i would reinforce the bed a little bit... i like how they look but they are DEFIANTLY NOT dump trucks!

Will it handle a leaf box? Sure it will! have a leaf box on a 96 dodge ram pickup. We load the leaves in there then use a chain and pallet to empty majority of the leaves!

ALSO just found one online and it says max capacity is 4000 pounds. Which isnt too bad. so Thats about 4 yards of mulch.
Dont forget to get airbags for the back.....
I dont know... I would really be worried about my truck bed

Last edited by cuttin-to-the-Max; 09-26-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have one for one of my 250's. I use it when we just need a yard of loam to patch up after an irrigation install. For larger stuff I use my 450 dump. I always remind the guys to lift it slow, and let the materials slowly make there way to the back. I have seen damage from materials moving towards the tailgate to fast and the end of the bed gets pushed out to the sides.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had the same set up and inevitably you will overload it. Go for an insert. When the truck is done just pull it out and put it in the next one. Believe me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One thing I should add about my experience. Do not get one of the systems that advertise that the bed will still sit at the same height, they do not offer alot of bed support. The one I have has a subframe that the bed bolts onto, it lifts the bed a good 1 1/2" - 2" or so off of the frame. These are alot stronger but the bed will sit a little higher than the cab. I got a body lift kit and installed it under the cab only, and it made a huge difference in the apperance
Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah if i got one i would definitely get one with a Sub frame. Like shown in the pic. You can clearly see that the bed is bolted onto another Frame that is attached to the hoist.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dump insert is the way I went. Not much more money and can transfer to your next truck.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he wants his truck to still look like a regular pickup. I have seen bosses do this their personal pickup trucks. Not everyone wants to drive a one ton dump truck hom every day
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for all the input guys. I do see the point of the bed not being able to take the weight unless there is a sub frame. I think I will look into a dump insert instead.