Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

You know what your doing. You sound like a smart guy. Keep your price fair. There's too many bastards out there who undercut everyone else, which contributes to the fact that the economy sucks right now. Don't be cheap, Don't be expensive, be fair. Sleep well at night.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it's been a while but I have started this project. Been working on it for a few days now. Started spraying in August and started the tear down 2 weeks ago.

I have purchased all the palnt material and stepping stones for the pathway. It was an s.o.b. tilling up all those liriope roots, tree roots and best of all......removing all the freaking gravel that was put down in the beds and all over the front area about 20 plus years ago. That front bed by the street was all ivy as well, what fun it is to remove ivy....yeah right!

Anyways, this is the very first time I have posted pics of any of the work I have done. Still have work to do obviously but here are some before and after pics up to the curerent state of the project.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here are 2 more
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I always get a little nervous or hesitant when submitting a bid... I think it's because I want the job that bad. I always get the feeling that I'm either to low or high with my numbers until I get the ok.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To me, nervousness and self doubt shows true character in this business.

Basically it shows you want to do a quality job and your best at what you want to do.

It's taken me a long time to really get over any nervousness. Occasionally it creeps in every now and then, but it keeps me honest.

The ultimate key is to never show your client any of those nervous signs. The more confident you are during consultations, the more likely you are to land the job. Never say no to anything ultimately.

Another thing I've noticed in my progression is that I'm now not so modest of my work. I've taken the compliments I hear as they are and use that as ammunition against my own self doubts. Just got to make sure not to cross the fine line of being proud or cocky.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
To me, nervousness and self doubt shows true character in this business.

Basically it shows you want to do a quality job and your best at what you want to do.

It's taken me a long time to really get over any nervousness. Occasionally it creeps in every now and then, but it keeps me honest.

The ultimate key is to never show your client any of those nervous signs. The more confident you are during consultations, the more likely you are to land the job. Never say no to anything ultimately.

Another thing I've noticed in my progression is that I'm now not so modest of my work. I've taken the compliments I hear as they are and use that as ammunition against my own self doubts. Just got to make sure not to cross the fine line of being proud or cocky.

Thank you, very good advice!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What are you doing in this area Ron?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pachysandra

The paint markings are more or less to give the homeowner an idea of what it will look like before it fills in.