Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth advertising is the best advertising there is. Also, make sure every job looks it's very best because word of mouth talk about bad work works against you just as quickly. Talk to everyone you know and let them know you're in the business. Don't be afraid to ask for business. Every job you get is advertising of your work. You make have to take on jobs that aren't't the most profitable but it will get you out in the market and the more people see you working, the more opportunity to pick up other work.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't flame me, but I've been targeting areas, and going door knocking. I have picked up most of my clients that way, normally get at least 1 job each time I go out, and most of those become regular customers.

I keep it very brief, just let them know who I am, and that I have just started a lawn mowing business in their area. If they are interested I give them a flyer, if not, I keep on walking. You have to be prepared to get a lot of "No's" but so what. I have time, so I'm not losing anything, and I have never had anyone be rude yet.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Survivlal is the key for the next few years. Contuniue to do good work at your full time job, do lawncare part time for a year or so. Try to get a 10hour 4 day work week at your regular job, thet gives you 3 good days for lawncare.

Dont be afarid to do side work in the current business your in.
The day will come when you will switch to part time on your currrent job and be full time at lawncare.

Last edited by larryinalabama; 09-26-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: format mistake
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisL230 View Post
I really want to make this my full time job. I would like to have 20-30 yards next year. My fiance makes pretty good money, so we arent gonna starve. I would rather have a tough year financially and grow my business to success than get a full time job and have to neglect it.
I don't want to scare you, but I want to be honest. My hubby started our business with 10 yards. He roofed full time for 9 months, and did lawns on the weekend with his brother. Then when he got up to 20 yards, he quit roofing and put all his effort into the lawn service. That was Sept 2009. We had it very rough the first and second winter. We live in FL, where there is no snow to plow to suppliment in the off season. Like you, we also had a newborn baby. When I say it was rough, I mean ROUGH. We had to move out of our house and live with his parents the first year because all of our $$ went back into the business. Having 20-30 yards by next year is an awesome goal, but it will depend on the competition in your area, and how rapidly you can expand. Depending on how much you are charging for those 20 - 30 yards, you still might not be able to pay all of your business expenses, household bills, childcare, etc. and live comfortably. Go with your gut, but make sure you'll have a fallback just in case that tough year turns into 2!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Experts Inc. View Post
I don't want to scare you, but I want to be honest. My hubby started our business with 10 yards. He roofed full time for 9 months, and did lawns on the weekend with his brother. Then when he got up to 20 yards, he quit roofing and put all his effort into the lawn service. That was Sept 2009. We had it very rough the first and second winter. We live in FL, where there is no snow to plow to suppliment in the off season. Like you, we also had a newborn baby. When I say it was rough, I mean ROUGH. We had to move out of our house and live with his parents the first year because all of our $$ went back into the business. Having 20-30 yards by next year is an awesome goal, but it will depend on the competition in your area, and how rapidly you can expand. Depending on how much you are charging for those 20 - 30 yards, you still might not be able to pay all of your business expenses, household bills, childcare, etc. and live comfortably. Go with your gut, but make sure you'll have a fallback just in case that tough year turns into 2!
Good post, the fellers around here that have survived 5 years and do good work generally dont advdertise. This is my 3rd year and I havent advertised since spring but do plan to advertise in the spring mainly to tarket some small accounts to even out my days. WINTER is a real problem here, generally by new years all the leaves are cleaned up so your into mulching and that sort of stuff, DEFENATELY have a plan for the winter