Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

After you get your learning done and the goofy papers to prove it, sign up with Kiewet, they are looking for robots to work for them, then after 6 months you can find another job, they have a revolving door for operators.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTEP View Post
Totally is, so is all this forum crap, but you seem to have all the time in the world to waste on here, so why not eh? At the very least I'll try my best to go out in a blaze of humiliation and "I told you so's", that should be plenty entertaining for all.
Blackberries and customer's free Wi-Fi are really awesome on jobsites like the one I am on now, waiting for trucks and the boss to unlock the gates.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
After you get your learning done and the goofy papers to prove it, sign up with Kiewet, they are looking for robots to work for them, then after 6 months you can find another job, they have a revolving door for operators.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll look into that in a couple months, thanks Ron.

http://twitter.com/DTEMover
Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

IUOE Apprenticeships are the way to go, I've been in 3 years and it was the best decision I've ever made. I have access to a ton of off-site training at our training center, as most locals do, and the on the job training is unmatched. I just can't see how paying someone to teach you a trade makes any sense but more power to you. It's a tough show out there right now, work is scarce and you have to fight tooth and nail for a job. I started off in the dirt, that was what I knew and what I joined the IUOE to do; push dirt. About a year ago, I made the jump to cranes. While I miss the dirt some days, hoisting is less seasonal, in higher demand, I won't say more fun because I don't really believe it is but it's a better choice these days if you want to stay busy. Good hook hands are harder to find than good blade hands, argue that all day if you want but it's true here. I'm an oiler right now, but I can wrench on a crane, rig, signal, and I learn something new every day.

Coming from a dirt background, the crane world is a whole new ballgame. Unless you're working a crane rental outfit, the contractors you're working for are probably huge outfits that hire multiple trades building all kinds of stuff; tunnels, bridges, piers/wharfs, commercial buildings, etc.. I've worked with just about all the trades out there, met a ton of people and learned a whole lot from electricians, carpenters/pilebucks, iron workers. Being exposed to that kind of construction was a wild change for me, working in a yard and learning how to be work-wise with materials and planning your work is invaluable experience.

Construction is very rewarding, I really enjoy being part of a team getting things done. The dirt outfit I was with for almost 2 years just finished up the job I spent a year and a half working on about 2 months ago. It was a cool feeling to drive the finished ramps and alignments knowing that I was there, built the subgrade, cut the slopes, bailed the export, installed the drainage, prepped the finish grade for paving, etc.. As I drove the alignments, I had a story for every 10 feet of the alignment like I had just been there yesterday and that's a tough feeling to beat knowing that your work will stand the test of time and chances are, it'll be there well after I'm gone. That is a cool feeling and it's what gets me up in the morning.

My advice is to do what you think is right and go for it. Your attitude will take you a long way anywhere in life, but it's especially true in this trade. Show up early, stay late, never turn down hours, keep your iron clean, and most importantly, be safe.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I read the entire thread from HE0_Girl on heavyequipmentforum.com and I laughed at the ending, she's a packer b#tch and a flagger now, all that hype and charisma for nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Scag, lots of good info. I'm going to look hard at the apprentice route.

Ron, great insight once again. Always looking forward to your 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Ron you sound more like GR every day and I don't agree with your mildly inspirational comments, DTEP go for it, if you want it bad enough you can make it work.

As for the fear of ending up as a flagger, don't worry about it, the only job you start at the top is digging a hole, and once you do get in the seat you will appreciate it more. And prob spend less time on your blackberry wishing you weren't stuck in this machine all day.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gravel Rat and I have been bantering back and forth on this, he read this thread and fell off his chair laughing.

I can just imagine the Twitter twat feeds:

Day 1, I just got off the Hitachi 200 excavator, wow what a rush, so much power, big and smooth, really fun to learn how to operate.

Day 2, finished my training on the Cat bulldozer, what a rush, feels like you are driving a tank, so neat.

Day 3, just finished up the the Hitachi 135, really nice little machine but not as little as the 200, wow that 200 was my fav.

Day 4, just got warned not to use my cell phone while operating, I just can't contain my excitement, I have to update my Twitter account so all 7 of my subscribers will know how excited I am!

Day 5, just got a second warning not to use my cell phone and to stop taking pictures and poser shots.

Day 6, I was asked to leave the training school for excessive cell phone use warnings, currently filling out a job application at Burger King, oh well, life goes on.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Gravel Rat and I have been bantering back and forth on this, he read this thread and fell off his chair laughing.

I can just imagine the Twitter twat feeds:

Oh god he's hilarious! Ran home from work, checked the latest on the ole forums, came up with some clever banter, and even found a funny photo that said what he was thinking for him, oh man so funny~!!

Seriously though, I haven't even started anything yet and you've already spent a good 20 minutes (say you spend 2 minutes each time you had some witty reply) checking out this thread, obviously it's entertaining to you.

That's what the internet is here for, our entertainment. And also to learn. Say another kid wants to get into the same thing one day, maybe he'll get some insight here, especially good stuff from you!

I mentioned twitter because I already use it for other things, keeping up with news, new projects I might be interested in, etc. It's quick, it's easy, and if someone was interested they wouldn't have to sift through a bunch of crap like this thread!

http://twitter.com/DTEMover
Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, you started the fire, I just added to it.
Posted via Mobile Device