Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

The cost of redoing a pond & politics

My wife's boss has a pond on their property that they haven't done anything with for years because they could not figure out how to deal with algae. It was there when they bought the property.

When she can over and saw ours with the little bit of algae, she couldn't believe we have won the battle.

So she went home and spoke with her husband about how nice ours looked, so they got a quote to get theirs back up and running.

It has about a 10 foot stream and the actual pond is about 10 feet in diameter and maybe 2 feet deep.

The quote came in at between $5&6K....she flipped. The quote came from the place I bought all my pond materials. She showed my wife the quote and my wife called me and asked if we used a skid loader, a Kubota loader or a Jumping Jack Tamper. I used a mini excavator, shovels and a home made hand tamper.

I felt I was being put in a difficult position because I didn't know exactly what the quote was for, so I told her to bring it home.

What they were quoting on was to completely re-do the water feature, but I thought they were going overboard with the equipment requirements.

I told my wife that because I'm not "in the trade" I couldn't really give some professional advice, and said to tell her boss that if they wanted to do it themselves I would offer some advice, but I would not get in between them and the contractor.

So now they are going to "sit on it" over the winter and decide how they want to proceed in the spring. I have a feeling I will be pressured into something I don't want anything to do with.

Sorry for the long rant, but I felt it needed to be expressed.

Here's my big question.....should I call the contractor and tell them that I think they are quoting needless equipment and the time required to do the job, they quoted 10 days. I know I will get involved......
Also, my wife's boss is a "money" family in our town.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I sent you a PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man can you pleeeeeeeeease explain to me how you beat the algae!!!!!!! It's was kicking my butt all summer but I think now it's too cold?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you want to call another contractor and tell them how to do the job and what it should cost to do it? Personally I have some pretty choice words for nose sticking in where it doesn't belong types like that. You can't backstroke your way out of this one fast enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So you want to call another contractor and tell them how to do the job and what it should cost to do it? Personally I have some pretty choice words for nose sticking in where it doesn't belong types like that. You can't backstroke your way out of this one fast enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
I dunno about that. Isn't what he is doing called negotiating? 10 days? Come on.......
Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I'll shoot from the hip on this one since its sight unseen. Being from WNY I have firsthand experience what winter does to water features. Seeing as how it has been neglected for years in all likelihood their isn't much that can be saved. 5-6k is not bad for a water feature that size especially if all the the mechanicals and electric have to be replaced. I will agree 10 days does sound kind of ultimatum-ish.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ok I'll shoot from the hip on this one since its sight unseen. Being from WNY I have firsthand experience what winter does to water features. Seeing as how it has been neglected for years in all likelihood their isn't much that can be saved. 5-6k is not bad for a water feature that size especially if all the the mechanicals and electric have to be replaced. I will agree 10 days does sound kind of ultimatum-ish.
I read that to say 10 days to complete the install, not how long the quote was valid.
Anyway, regardless of geographical location $5-6 K may be too much, about right, or a steal; depending......... Not enough info to accurately make a comment.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just reread it too. Gotta quit reading between accounts. 10 days you could build a replica of the real Niagara Falls.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I just reread it too. Gotta quit reading between accounts. 10 days you could build a replica of the real Niagara Falls.
Funny that you should say that. The creator of this thread was contemplating that exact same thing 2 or 3 years ago. The guys on the Forum talked him out of it. He will get a chuckle when he reads your post.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Way over kill on the equipment lol.. A jumpn jack tamper lol.. I must say I laughed at that one. The price is what they feel is correct, especialy if they are the only ones in your area that does this. If I remeber correctly you had trouble finding people to get your project of the ground. They are in a position to charge what ever they want. Its up to the homeowner to decide if it is to expensive. I do agree howerever 10 days is crazy no way it should take that long even at the worst possible conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device