Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks great,nice setup..i have the pb500 and 225 trimmer they are awesome!
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah ECHO is a great product! I work at The Home Depot the one that i work with sells them. Not a lot of home owners want them because of the price. You get what you pay for! Thanks for liking my setup. I know its not the most professional equipment. It is defiantly not the worst either. How do you like the Cub Cadet walk behind?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
Yeah ECHO is a great product! I work at The Home Depot the one that i work with sells them. Not a lot of home owners want them because of the price. You get what you pay for! Thanks for liking my setup. I know its not the most professional equipment. It is defiantly not the worst either. How do you like the Cub Cadet walk behind?
Yeah,i love there trimmers the most for some reason and eveything they make lol..thats cool you work at home depot the stores by me all carry echos..yeah the price isn't too bad,NP yeah im not the one to talk i guess my setup is in the middle does the job right and on time so that is what matters,Man the walk behind is great i have never had any problems what so ever than a drive cable which got fixed the next day and back and running for the lawns was a $15 part,other than that i love it this is my third year it's great
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 10-02-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I was just going to use it to start out. I take good care of my equipment always clean and ready to go. Cub Cadet seems to have the best tractors for dependability. Is it okay to start with this? or do people get turned off by it? I wanted to have my overhead low just in case i don't get enough customers to make a profit.
Quote:
my uncle loaned me the money to get started so i have to pay him back before i even consider getting a new lawn mower. i am only 19 and it is so hard to get a loan now. This is what i have to work with until i get more accounts.

Build slow, steady and smartly. Use your uncle's advice.
Save all you can and put it back into your business. At 19 its tempting to buy a lot of toys and things that a guy wants. I know I've been there.... nearly 20 years ago.

Most of us have started small and very humble.
In 96 I was working out of the trunk of my car. (very soon bought a Ford Ranger).
Its very humbling to start that way but it helps to keep a guy grounded when he remembers those days.
Today I have this rig 100% paid for.
This trailer cost more than your tractor, blower and trimmer combined.

You will get yours too. Just build your business smartly.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

HD probably isn't selling the commercial ECHO line.
Then again many folks didn't start with the commercial line either.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BPS i'm liking your truck. Ford is the way to go!!! i would have bought a ford but my dodge was a steal for the shape and low miles it has. thanks for all the information its making me feel better about countuining. Its been very frustrating getting clients and how expensive marketing is. A lot of people on this site seem to think that because i started with a lawn tractor i am going to fail. I don't get how they all start with commercial equipment? makes no sense i know that a lot of people take out loans and get the expensive equipment right away. 9 times out of 10 they fail because they cant pay there loans fast enough. How many accounts do you guys have? whats a good number of accounts to be making good money?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how much did that cub cadet walk behind cost? i think that would be my next purchase.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice (17 and fully insured and legal doing commercial and residential) is forget the Cub cadet WBH. Get rid of the rider ASAP and get a Exmark or scag walkbehind for 2500 on craigslist. Both Cubs will drive you crazy. I used a deere rider for the first time the other day because one of my customers wanted me to try it out. I have always used zero turns so I wanted to try it for fun. Man that think took a 40 acre field to turn it around. It was slow and had a poor cut.
RUN AWAY FROM RIDERS AND CHEAP WALKBEHINDS!
Mike
Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
BPS i'm liking your truck. Ford is the way to go!!! i would have bought a ford but my dodge was a steal for the shape and low miles it has. thanks for all the information its making me feel better about countuining. Its been very frustrating getting clients and how expensive marketing is. A lot of people on this site seem to think that because i started with a lawn tractor i am going to fail. I don't get how they all start with commercial equipment? makes no sense i know that a lot of people take out loans and get the expensive equipment right away. 9 times out of 10 they fail because they cant pay there loans fast enough. How many accounts do you guys have? whats a good number of accounts to be making good money?

The number of accounts isn't what matters.
I've got contracts for next year that will take all day to do one.

Keep at what you've already done to get the 8 you have now.
I'd suggest that you print out a sales advertisement along with free services incentives and give them to your existing customers now. Don't wait until next spring when folks already have their service lined up.
Unless you do it early while there is still snow on the ground.
In fact snow removal in WI is some thing you should offer to your customers to help with year around retention.

Tell your existing clients that you'll give them one free mowing for every customer they refer to you that stays longer than one month with your company in 2012. Up to a max of 3 free mowings.

They are already going to tell their friends about your services. This will give them some skin in the game of sales for your company.
Make sure they are happy with your work, other wise the bad reputation will harm you more.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cub Cadets are my favorite. I know, i would if i had the money. I dont need a big walk behind right now only have 8 clients. Waiting for more.