Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

very poor soil

I have a client who has a recently seeded lawn (turf type tall fescue). Since they were diligent on watering, it has begun to come in ok. The problem is the soil is so poor, I would like some advice on how to correct this after the fact. Here is the soil sample as follows...

organic matter- .3
P1 - 4 ppm
P2 - 6 ppm
K - 64 ppm
Mg - 318 ppm
Ca - 2402 ppm
pH - 8.4
CEC - 14.8
%K - 1.1
%Mg - 17.9
%Ca - 81
%H - 0

added so far was about 10# sulfur per K
and about 10# 6-24-24? per K

any thoughts about doing something economically here? I am dealing with about 3/4 an acre.

thanks,
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Aerate top dress with compost. Tilling in a larger amount prior to seeding would have been much better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The OM being @ .3 makes everything else that much more dramatic... pH is really high which is common for your area... correct?

Compost is a great idea... also be sure to mulch mow and even mulch in the leaves if possible...
The thing that more OM will do for you, besides the obvious, is to buffer the pH making it possible for the root hairs establish their comfort zone more profittable...

There's really no reason to dump on the P and whether you need that much K is also questionable... I'd focus on the N duing the periods when the grass is activly growing... just not too early in the Spring...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

the pH in our area can be high, but that is unusually high. ... I also neglected to mention that I had the person seeding it add some mycorhyzzae to the seed.

On the P, I am surprised that you wouldn't think it necessary to add some. That # is extremely low, but maybe there is something I am missing here.

I am kicking myself for not adding compost here when they were seeding, but there was already an irrigation system in place and in one large spot the grade didn't drain very well. The homeowner wanted to add topsoil then, but i knew it was going to be very expensive and I figured he could put that money in additives and come out ahead. Big mistake on my part though on not attempting to add in compost beforehand.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grass seldom benefits from added phos. Keep the slow-release nitrogen coming as Smallaxe suggests. A heavy shot of Milorganite in between mineral nitrogen and potash applications will add enough phos, plus organic matter and organic nitrogen.
Myself, I would include potassium as it is vital for resistance to cold and disease. Every 30 days until the grass is established--or until the mowing becomes burdensome.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony View Post
...add some mycorhyzzae to the seed.

On the P, I am surprised that you wouldn't think it necessary to add some. That # is extremely low, but maybe there is something I am missing here. ...
The purpose of Mycorhyzzae (AM Fungi) is to 'mine' the bound up P from the soil... It is estimated the 80% of the P added to a soil is instantly bound up through its chemical reaction to the soils... AMF woks with a root both externally and internally to effectively extract the naturally occuring P from the mineral sands and clays....

That system is the best system in handling P and mulch mowing recycles fresh elements that are now, in a more readily available form...

Another consideration about AMF and P is that additional applications of P, arrest the activity of the AMF... In that way adding P can be counter-productive...
Old 10-02-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2011, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Adding organic matter with compost topdressing, clippings, mowed leaves and organic fertilizer is your best and most economical long term solution. Other actions are like putting a band-aid on a deep cut.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt