Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

lets talk hand tools

just was wondering what everyone has for hand tools for stuff like, pruning, fall/spring clean up, patio installs, etc.
I just got this little 4 in wide leaf rake to do clean up in flower beds and other tight places, plus i got some decent pruning shears made by corona, rubber mallet, hard rakes, leaf rakes, shovels, etc. I buy something every week that i think i might need.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Shovels for digging, "hula" hoes for weeding, edgers, plastic manure shovels, grading rakes, more.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I highly recommend Histand tools. They are all steel tools that are great for the clay soil around Pa.

The edging shovel cuts through shale and roots pretty easily and the spade is great for digging up plants that need removed or replaced. The stiff rakes are perfect for mulching but the teeth are a little far apart and skinny for raking soil (still works pretty well, just wish they were closer together).

They do sell a grape hoe but I have a feeling that it would be too heavy. I need to find a wooden handled one. They are great for breaking up soil and removing weeds when doing a bed install when they builder spread the soil three months before you could get there and the weeds are 2 feet tall.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Best hand tool I ever owned is a 1946 army shovel be used as a shovel or fold it to a hoe
Keep it sharp when you are on your knees right size tool
Older it is better New ones wont hold up
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea i just keep buying one or two things each week that i think i might need, because come spring time im going to go full time. I got shovels, rakes, hard rakes, pruners, trash can, wheel borrow, and more, but im trying to decide what to get next. I got 35 i can spend this week so far, and im in debate between round up pump and go 2 gallon pump, just the 2 gallon jug but comes with a free sample of round up to make 2 gallons. I figured if i clean it out real good then maybe i can use it to put miracle grow in as well to put on flowers. just gotta make sure i clean it out real good. or i was going to get a pick axe, or a square ended shovel. Ill get it all eventually but not sure what would be better for now.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
yea i just keep buying one or two things each week that i think i might need, because come spring time im going to go full time. I got shovels, rakes, hard rakes, pruners, trash can, wheel borrow, and more, but im trying to decide what to get next. I got 35 i can spend this week so far, and im in debate between round up pump and go 2 gallon pump, just the 2 gallon jug but comes with a free sample of round up to make 2 gallons. I figured if i clean it out real good then maybe i can use it to put miracle grow in as well to put on flowers. just gotta make sure i clean it out real good. or i was going to get a pick axe, or a square ended shovel. Ill get it all eventually but not sure what would be better for now.
Once you have Roundup in something, use it only for Roundup. You're asking to do a lot of free replacement work if you try to use a Roundup container or backpack for something else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedunit View Post
Once you have Roundup in something, use it only for Roundup. You're asking to do a lot of free replacement work if you try to use a Roundup container or backpack for something else.
Posted via Mobile Device
i second this. roundup will never completely come out.