Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soil temperature

What is your soil temperature where you are located?
Soil is 49 here in Michigan, (north side of house). But we have had a couple very light frosts and weather was cool last week. Abnormally warm weather expected this week...air temp high of 80 predicted in next few days.

What does your crabgrass look like. Mostly dead and brown here in Grand Rapids on October 6.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yesterday's soil temp (4" depth) was 64 - 65 degrees in central Iowa (I-80 / I-35).

59 degrees in the southeast corner of the state & 68 degrees in the NW corner of the state. Weird

Source: Iowa State Extension

Crabgrass here is all brown. Foxtail & barnyardgrass is still green, but will turn brown soon.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

78*@ 4" depth. Crabgrass is green and won't change color until the middle of the month.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Riggle, That's interesting, your temperature readings, although on the north side of house, are quite different than the map (below) shows. I'm wondering if 'greencast' has people in every county across the nation sticking thermometers in dirt or if they simply like to color maps of the u.s. because they are bored??? I live in centeral indiana and have been looking at that map determine when to apply some left-over dimension for winter annual weeds/poa. Right or wrong, I'm targeting 70 degrees (soil temp) for a fall ap of dimension for my purposes. Your thoughts?

www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

South Florida Gulf Coast Soil Temperature is very close to if not the same as the Gulf of Mexico Water Temperature in the winter . Our soil temperature in the coldest month which is January is 65 to 68 degrees. Sept Water Temperature can reach 105 or bathe water.

The last 3 years we have had Freezes which of course kill the crabgrass. But past normal years crabgrass has survived the winter and there are still several all Crabgrass lawn even in Upscale neighborhoods.

Add in the Fact the only Recommend Crabgrass control on St Augustine for many years has Pre emege. After Asulox was taken off the market we had nothing post emerge that worked with one application for control of Crabgrass We still have mastive Crabgrass problems. My biggest PITA is accounts were both Neighbors have crap lawns.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Revising my earlier numbers--way above normal today--around 82 degrees air temp, and the same predicted for next two days.
Soil temp at twilight 7 pm: north side in shade 60, in sun 63, but twilight, both under thick turf.

Tags
crabgrass