Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

a quick question

Im just wondering if the organic or "natural" lawn care is popular with clients or not? Do you guys only offer the organic/natural method?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's usually more popular to just reduce the amount of unnecessary chemicals by spot spraying using compost for topdressing and overseeding one or two good organic fertilizer apps for the summer and only the necessary amount for Late Spring and Fall...

That way it doesn't cost more and you never have to say... "It's going to get a lot worse, before it get's any better"... that statement is NOT popular and they generally chose to throw the baby out with the bathwater...
Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

It totally depends on the client's desires. I have clients who only care about results, not the method used. Others don't want a drop of chemical or synthetic on the place.

Interview the client, find out what they want to achieve, deliver that to them. pretty simple. Another benefit I have found through this interview process, a$$holes tend to identify themselves and I find myself too busy to service their property.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Legacy...C/256225321177
Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike View Post
Im just wondering if the organic or "natural" lawn care is popular with clients or not? Do you guys only offer the organic/natural method?
Hey Magicmike, New York state is moving to banning pesticides like Canada in the next couple of years, they have started a program of certifying landscapers in the "go green organic yards" program started by the DEP this year, after successful completion the company is put up on the DEP website as an organic yard provider
The program is meant to transition landscapers to Minimum risk pesticides (plant based extracts) within 3 years, their hope is to eliminate all chemical pesticides in NY state within 5 years

so get on board or be left behind in the near future

you will find a good customer base in the more affluent neighborhoods, their awareness is higher and they are used to paying for maintenance services