Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
FreshCoatSealcoating FreshCoatSealcoating is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: middletown, oh
Posts: 2
What am i doing wrong?

Hello, I am the owner/operator of fresh coat sealcoating ion middletown, oh and i have a few questions/comments maybe you guys can help with. I have been in buisness almost 2 years and it has been really slow but im not ready to give up, yet. I get a decent amount of calls for commercial bids almost none for residential. All the residential i get is word of mouth. I advertise semi heavy, keep my price ion the same region as my competition, work hard and go the extra mile on every job. Here is my problem... I dont want to be a door knocker because im not much of a salesman. Im 25 yrs old and when these buisness owners and home owners talk to me on the phone everything is great untill they see how young i am and i think they think differently afterwards because of my age. I have bid on decent sized projects this summer and i know i was the cheaper guy, not by much but a few dollars cheaper and i drive by the job a week later and somebody else is doing it, that i know bid higher. I really think its my age thats hurting me. I am fully insured, all bids are done on the comp and printed and either faxed or emailed. I give a 1 yr warranty, and dont cut my product like others (maybe 30% at the most). I have a decent looking truck and brand new equipment. I have a nice looking logo.?. I guess what im asking is should i go door to door? Should i just keep at it and something will have to give eventually? Any comments or suggestions would be grear. thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Mdirrigation Mdirrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,450
Dont tell them you are the owner , you work for the company. When someone calls tell them you will send Bob out to give the estimate . Raise your prices , dont be the low bidder . The word of mouth for the residential , thats great thats what you want. Actually residential is better money , quicker , more referals, quicker pay than commercial . commercial can be a royal pain the dollars are bigger , but the risk is higher .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
GARRETTWOOD GARRETTWOOD is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: honesdale pa
Posts: 345
Do not lie tell them you are the owner and sell the job. Sealing can be a tough market lots of low bidders. Stick to your guns and charge enough to make money and always do a better job then the other guy. Be neat when it comes to prep work and the spraying of the sealer. We do a 2 coat job and charge more. Work holds up longer and we get some and we lose some. You have to believe in what you are doing I started when I was 28 and It was alot of hard work and I'am sure some of the people were a little unsure of me. But we always show up and do a real knock out job and here we are 8 yrs later
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Mdirrigation Mdirrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,450
If you want to impress the customer , apply it by broom , spraying residential driveways unless its real long , isnt that much faster than brooming. And brooming the sealer in lasts longer than spraying. I had the same problem 30 years ago when I started , I was young , I simply told the customer I was with the company , never told them I was the owner , unless they asked . This method worked well , still out there 30 years later
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2011, 01:15 AM
sealcutter sealcutter is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA.
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRETTWOOD View Post
Do not lie tell them you are the owner and sell the job. Sealing can be a tough market lots of low bidders. Stick to your guns and charge enough to make money and always do a better job then the other guy. Be neat when it comes to prep work and the spraying of the sealer. We do a 2 coat job and charge more. Work holds up longer and we get some and we lose some. You have to believe in what you are doing I started when I was 28 and It was alot of hard work and I'am sure some of the people were a little unsure of me. But we always show up and do a real knock out job and here we are 8 yrs later
I hear you brother.
we send out mailers every year but 90% of my sealing work is by reputation and word of mouth. Not the cheapest but the quality shows and speaks for it's self. I just started another rig that my oldest son is running for residential and was out checking his work Wednesday's, and all the customer were very happy and they finished everything I gave them. Very hard to trust someone to run a sealing rig but if he wants this business he will walk every mile.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2011, 01:37 AM
sealcutter sealcutter is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA.
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
If you want to impress the customer , apply it by broom , spraying residential driveways unless its real long , isnt that much faster than brooming. And brooming the sealer in lasts longer than spraying. I had the same problem 30 years ago when I started , I was young , I simply told the customer I was with the company , never told them I was the owner , unless they asked . This method worked well , still out there 30 years later
When you brush do you push it or drag it? I can tell you for for sure that spraying is faster, but that is with two guy's. I see guy's doing this by hand all the time but they are there for hours. On good day's we would do about 18000 sf. last Monday I put another rig on the road and I did a half a parking lot and my son did the residential's and that is the most we ever did on one day over 80000 sf. The push is on and I never used this much additive in my life, work still waiting on weather and we are running out of time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Mdirrigation Mdirrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,450
I drag it , use a 2 quart pitcher and do the cut in around the garage and where it meets the walk .I use an angled kitchen broom for the cut in ,then I then dump out 12 to 15 gallons and pull it along while I am standing in it , I am using a 4 ft pull broom . A 20 ft by 60 ft drive takes between a half an hour to 45 minutes start to finish , this is weedeating the edges blowing off and stakeing the entrance. Not hard at all I even carry a tarp I lay on the concrete so I dont have to jump over it. I spray most parking lots , but I have broomed a few depending on the layout . Alone I can spread 150 to 200 gallons a day by myself . And I am a 1961 model
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 AM
sealcutter sealcutter is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA.
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
I drag it , use a 2 quart pitcher and do the cut in around the garage and where it meets the walk .I use an angled kitchen broom for the cut in ,then I then dump out 12 to 15 gallons and pull it along while I am standing in it , I am using a 4 ft pull broom . A 20 ft by 60 ft drive takes between a half an hour to 45 minutes start to finish , this is weedeating the edges blowing off and stakeing the entrance. Not hard at all I even carry a tarp I lay on the concrete so I dont have to jump over it. I spray most parking lots , but I have broomed a few depending on the layout . Alone I can spread 150 to 200 gallons a day by myself . And I am a 1961 model
A man of experiance I see...
I too use a small bucket for the cut in near walks and garage's. We too drag for the finish touch but I can't use that 4' brush any more, just the 2' for me. I have been a fan of the underlay boards for about 8 years now and use them all the time, cut to different sizes and use them to cover walk ways, block out curbs and what not, they are the first things off the truck after we prep.
Do you use coal tar?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Mdirrigation Mdirrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,450
Do you use coal tar?

Thats the only true sealcoat . Yes , i get it from seaboard asphalt down in Baltimore
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
sealcutter sealcutter is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA.
Posts: 256
Past two years I have been doing both coal tar and asphalt emulsion. Pa. had coal tar on the block once and I want to be ready when they ban it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.10593 seconds with 9 queries