Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't forget the elements. Deer might not bite back but sitting in a tree stand in twenty degree weather isn't for the faint ot heart
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point fl. I've done that up north also and it wasn't very fun. Did it for 2 days I passed on the 3rd day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Don't forget the elements. Deer might not bite back but sitting in a tree stand in twenty degree weather isn't for the faint ot heart
Posted via Mobile Device
Brian

Isn't for the faint of heart?? Then it must be for the Faint of mind. No way I am sitting in a tree stand in 20 degree weather.

Karl

I am thinking it was in the Late 1960's when Gators were put on the Endangered species List. Before that they were fair game. two ways we made gas money in High School was skinning Gator hides and Cast Netting Mullet. Mullet paid $ 0.03 a pound and Gator Hides paid $ 6.00 a Lineal Ft. In those days you had to hunt for gators real hard. In 1954 My father drove our family to Florida for the first time. I can still hear him complaining Gas was $ 0.14 a gallon in Florida. Despite the High price of Gas we moved to Florida in 1956. I turned 16 that year and I was mad we didn't move to Florida a year sooner. You only had to be 15 years old for a Drivers license back then.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Florida hunt sounds like fun. Right now though I want cool air, no bugs and the challenge of stalking and lining up that one perfect shot. My idea of hunting is not sitting in a tree stand with a pile of deer kibbles on the ground underneath it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Some people like wild hog meat wild other like to grain feed the wild taste out before butchering them."

Ric,

Isn't that game taste in the wild meat from running them down and the build up of Lactic Acid in the tissue(muscle)?

Had a hunter buddy tell me this once, if I still have it right. Like with deer, if you have to run them down, he said, you might as well like them go since the meat will taste like chit. Same way with Hogs too?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
"Some people like wild hog meat wild other like to grain feed the wild taste out before butchering them."

Ric,

Isn't that game taste in the wild meat from running them down and the build up of Lactic Acid in the tissue(muscle)?

Had a hunter buddy tell me this once, if I still have it right. Like with deer, if you have to run them down, he said, you might as well like them go since the meat will taste like chit. Same way with Hogs too?
Rob

You are so right about the adrenaline rush making the meat taste bad. Even those who like the wild taste or don't care to feed out a hog will wait a day or two before butchering them. What I was talking about was waiting a day or two or 30 days of corn feeding. Some will kill the Mother Hog leaving her and capture the babies which they then feed out. There is two different types of fat on a Hog. Yellow and White. White Fat is generally from better food sources like Corn and better for you. Yellow is general from Garbage or wild fed Hogs.

BTW Florida law doesn't allow guns to be used for night Hunting. Hog Hunting is mostly done at night and with Dogs.

What we will call professional Hog Hunters here is Florida will actually sell Live Wild Hogs to commercial Hunting Lodges. The Bigger the better price. City Slicker with big bucks pay huge money for the privilege of shooting Trophy Hogs a few seconds after they are released for a trap or chute. Of course they have no idea it is a set up. I have sold Hogs for $ 200 Dollar that they pay $ 2,000 or more to shoot.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Brian

Faint of mind would be trying to hog tie a living breathing wild hog

Isn't for the faint of heart?? Then it must be for the Faint of mind. No way I am sitting in a tree stand in 20 degree weather.

Karl

I am thinking it was in the Late 1960's when Gators were put on the Endangered species List. Before that they were fair game. two ways we made gas money in High School was skinning Gator hides and Cast Netting Mullet. Mullet paid $ 0.03 a pound and Gator Hides paid $ 6.00 a Lineal Ft. In those days you had to hunt for gators real hard. In 1954 My father drove our family to Florida for the first time. I can still hear him complaining Gas was $ 0.14 a gallon in Florida. Despite the High price of Gas we moved to Florida in 1956. I turned 16 that year and I was mad we didn't move to Florida a year sooner. You only had to be 15 years old for a Drivers license back then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roflmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Brian

Different strokes for Different folks. I didn't move back to Florida for the Snow Skiing and Ice Skating.