Register free!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Shindaiwa SP45- 4.5 glns, heavy but very durable, rigid plastic wand; excellent for heavy duty.

Solo - lightweight, flex plastic wand; good for medium duty.

Round-up - cheap, lightweight, flex plastic wand; good for light duty.

Battery pack: how much more weight do you want to carry?

Be a man.

I'm betting similar weight to that fully loaded 4.5 gallon Shindi model you mentioned.
Most likely similar weight to those that are powered by a small 2 cycle engine.

I like my battery powered unit. I'll keep using it and plan on buying another one for 2012.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
Be a man.

I'm betting similar weight to that fully loaded 4.5 gallon Shindi model you mentioned.
Most likely similar weight to those that are powered by a small 2 cycle engine.

I like my battery powered unit. I'll keep using it and plan on buying another one for 2012.
Wasn't criticizing your choice, if I'm going to carry the weight, it may as well be productive weight...

Go for it Rambo
Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ruh, roh, the backpack sprayer debate has started again. My normal backpack is heavy as all get out. The weight does not bother me because I do not have to pump it. I cannot imagine something lighter spraying a 20 ft tall tree or spraying a 5,000 sq ft lawn in under 10 minutes, much less maintain 150 PSI at the wand while applying 1 GPM.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use and like the Shurflo Electric 4 gallon.
However I do not like lugging a full 4 gallon load. I usually mix 3 or less at one time, otherwise it kills your shoulders.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Ruh, roh, the backpack sprayer debate has started again. My normal backpack is heavy as all get out. The weight does not bother me because I do not have to pump it. I cannot imagine something lighter spraying a 20 ft tall tree or spraying a 5,000 sq ft lawn in under 10 minutes, much less maintain 150 PSI at the wand while applying 1 GPM.
Agreed, lighter units are not made for that kind of work. I don't want to be in the middle of a debate either. Just curious. How much liquid do you run through your backpack in a typical week. 50...100.gals? A little more than that?...Alot more than that? I'm telling you, if I had to spray even 50 gal/wk consistently through a backpack, hand pump action would be the first thing to go. We merely spot spray with ours and still feel like we do plenty of that. Weight is not an issue. there are 3 of us working. One is a professional firefighter. I was for 10 yrs and the other guy is an athlete/coach.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I use and like the Shurflo Electric 4 gallon.
However I do not like lugging a full 4 gallon load. I usually mix 3 or less at one time, otherwise it kills your shoulders.
Iam with DA i only mix 3 gals or less but i am not out there blanking yards with my back packs either.

Just spotting weeds

I have a couple stihl sprayer they do a good job.

Charles Cue
Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got 2 Stihls. They do the job for me. One for Gly only and the other for turf only. Very well built. Never had a problem with either. 2 years on one and 6 months on the other. On avaerage about 20 gals week each. If I would have a problem, I like the thought of taking to my dealer for repair and or parts. I hate throw away items as there is no value in that.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Agreed, lighter units are not made for that kind of work. I don't want to be in the middle of a debate either. Just curious. How much liquid do you run through your backpack in a typical week. 50...100.gals? A little more than that?...Alot more than that? I'm telling you, if I had to spray even 50 gal/wk consistently through a backpack, hand pump action would be the first thing to go. We merely spot spray with ours and still feel like we do plenty of that. Weight is not an issue. there are 3 of us working. One is a professional firefighter. I was for 10 yrs and the other guy is an athlete/coach.
On average, no less than 100 gallons per week. I think 50 or so gallons per day is normal for me. Especially if I have to do lots of shrub and ornamental work. On a busy day it can be 100 gallons in one day. Unfortunately I was never an athlete and I do not think I would make the requirements to be in the FD, but I manage.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738