Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

bobcat 863 problem

Hi everyone! I just bought a 2001 bobcat 863. I started it up and it ran for a minute but then stalled. Now it wont start up. It was running just fine the day before. any ideas?
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Prime the fuel lines and change the fuel filter. Might have air in the lines and that will make it die.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

ok, i did that and it runs for a few but keeps dying?? primed it again, and it dies again, Im new to the skid steer world
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

replace the fuel filters.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is the fuel tank full? just have to check the gauge might be off if it is and its still a no go check the primer bulb on the fuel line if its got a lot of cracks in it replace it. if that still doesn't work the fuel pickup line is probably rotted off in the tank its an easy fix just pick up the cab (make sure it is properly braced) look in towards the tank you will see the line coming out of the tank pop it out of the grommet and put on a new line i think there about 18'' long if you cant fish the strainer out get a new one the last one i bought from car quest was 2/3 dollars (hope this helps)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailboardtech View Post
is the fuel tank full? just have to check the gauge might be off if it is and its still a no go check the primer bulb on the fuel line if its got a lot of cracks in it replace it. if that still doesn't work the fuel pickup line is probably rotted off in the tank its an easy fix just pick up the cab (make sure it is properly braced) look in towards the tank you will see the line coming out of the tank pop it out of the grommet and put on a new line i think there about 18'' long if you cant fish the strainer out get a new one the last one i bought from car quest was 2/3 dollars (hope this helps)
This is where im at now. Ive lifted the cab, but all i see is the hydstat. pump and the back of the motor. The tank and lines seem to be hidden down between the two Its an 01 863. Maybe Im looking at the wrong place
Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ill tell you right now this exact thing has happened to me a few times. I have a cat skid steer with a perkins engine but with the exact thing you are describing. I change the fuel filters and it works like a million bucks. It happens periodically, starts running like sh$t, wont stay running, etc. New fuel filters....its like a new machine. If you just got it you should probably change all your filters anyways just to start a maintenance schedule. You might find that it fixes your problem also.

Edit...i just read that you already did it.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus_player View Post
This is where im at now. Ive lifted the cab, but all i see is the hydstat. pump and the back of the motor. The tank and lines seem to be hidden down between the two Its an 01 863. Maybe Im looking at the wrong place
its in there, i cant remember exactly where but if memory serves me right its on the left side + it might be under some crud and hoses, you might have to follow the fuel lines from the filters back also while you are in there check the power unit mounts (motor mounts) if there worn out they can rub a hole in the top of the fuel tank, they may have corrected that problem by 2001 but it wont hurt to check.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

it was the pick up line, thanks guys
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

If the 863 has the duetz oil cooled engine they will finally need a fuel lift pump. They are easy to put on and much cheaper from duetz than bobcat. I had to replace mine at 1300 hrs{not normal this soon].