Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i saw that addition of turf to!!............... right before i tossed it in the trash.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

In response to the carbon monoxide comments, I just have a few additions to the conversation.

"Carbon monoxide is a major atmospheric pollutant in some urban areas, chiefly from the exhaust of internal combustion engines (including vehicles, portable and back-up generators, lawn mowers, power washers, etc.), but also from improper burning of various other fuels (including wood, coal, charcoal, oil, paraffin, propane, natural gas, and trash)."

Clearly lawn mowers are a known source of carbon monoxide. I had a terrible experience where I left one of my mowers on in one of my enclosed trailers. Needless to say, it was an awful experience.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan View Post
What we're all going to be mowing with in the near future.

http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-conte.../ZeonPage.html
i honestly can not wait until we are at that point.

best mower than i own at the moment - no joke - 20 inch 36 volt works battery operated mower. I have 2 one with self propell one with out.

I had two rather interesting accounts that required 21 inch mowers to be used, soon after watching my guys i discovered either - the manor in which they were being used was dangerours, or if corrected, it took a great deal of time away. we went to an electric mower----best investment yet. I have never been in grass that it would not mow (we do mow weekly), to my surpise it does not lack any power, its light weight, it uses no gas, no maintenance other than charge the battery. we got weeks of use on a battery charge for our useage. I save so much money in gas and maintenace that every 2.5 years this unit will pay for itself again.

Iv had a ton of problems with 2 cycle equiptment - epa...crappy gas...the list goes on. you know what, go try one of those new stihl battery units....--the head sucks, the design is a little small for me, the bottom is too big---bottom line it needs improvments, but if you do line trim every week, in most cases this unit would provide enough power to do the job with little to no prodcution difference- and we will no count the 15 mins it took while your worker flooded the gas weed wipe, or the time for repairing the broken pull starter. elecdtric you pick it up , sqeeze the trigger and it runs...no warm up period, or anything else. To so respects if they keep making changes you would be dumb not to try it. I didnt say give up the big 28 cc model, but most lawns in my area that are trimmed every week correctly, we use a 21 cc, and we dont have to even pull the trigger much

question - for those that hate electric - why do trains use electricity to turn the wheels, why do large loaders use it? super large excavators and drag line shovels.... because it works well.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee24 View Post
question - for those that hate electric - why do trains use electricity to turn the wheels, why do large loaders use it? super large excavators and drag line shovels.... because it works well.
Almost all of these are diesel powered with the diesel engine turning generators. There are purely electric express passenger trains but when the load gets heavy they turn to the diesel locomotives.