Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2003, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Metro 36"

My brother and I just bought a brand new Exmark metro 36" and we are picking it up on Tuesday. we got a bag kit for it but the dealer told us that we shouldn't buy a mulch kit ($115) yet because the side discharge should cut the grass into small enough clippings. I found this hard to believe. the grass has been very wet lately so mulching could get messy. i think in the future we will need the mulch kit. i also think an Exmark will be able to mulch through grass that is a little wet.

If anybody has had trouble mulching with an Exmark through semi-wet grass give me your opinion on how good it is?

Also, we will be cutting off about 2.5" or less every mowing so i think the mulch kit will work. If anybody has an Exmark please give me your opinion on how good they mulch. thanks.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Addict

The only time my mulch kit comes off is for scalping lawns in the early spring and for some field cutting! The mulch kit is awesome! Wet grass, even cutting off 5 inches, no problem, just put it in 2nd gear and go. With really tall wet grass, there would be minimal clumping, just go over it again in high gear.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The dealer is right, that machine cuts down literally everything.
I cut @ 4" on St Augustine grass with a pair of gator blades, that is about it. It leaves nice clean beautiful looking cut and stripe on lawn, the key is to keep your under deck and chamber clean.
This is for St. Augustine, other kind of grass may need extra stuff.
just little input.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mine will only handle about 3 inches or so of wet, thick grass, then it will clump. Now, you will have better luck if you deck is perfectly scraped, which I sometimes don't have time to get around to until the end of the week, so that can put a damper on things as well.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 05-26-2003, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnranger, I have the exact same mower. I did not buy the bagger ,but I had my dealer install the mulch kit. I have not had any problems with it. I've cut slightly wet grass approx. 6-7" tall down to 3.5" with no problem except for having to clean under the deck sooner than I normally would have to. I just prop up the from of the mower on a 4x4 about 10" long and scrape the deck ,only takes a couple of minutes. The one thing I don't like about the mulch kit is you can't change back and forth from mulch to discharge without a lot of work. I was going to do this on a new customer that was extremely tall grass ,but after taking the discharge plate off and seeing how much other stuff you have to take off to do it I changed my mind. On that tall grass run I just cut it twice ,mulched great with no piles.

2005 Ford F-350 4x4 V-10
Old 05-26-2003, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Addict

Hmm, you guys are talking about cleaning the deck.....I never have to clean underneath my deck, the mulch kit keeps the underside clean. Now the top of the deck does get piled up with mulch clippings. Actually the only time the I have to scrape my deck is when I am bagging, during my scalping season. Oh, I use the Exmark mulching blades, somehow gators dont work too well for me. Even in the fall, I use the standard mulching blades.