Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-26-2003, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Mowed for 5 years...stopped...working...wanna go back.

Sup all...i've had my own little lawn business since I was about 14 years old. Before i could drive I make a trailer that i pulled behind my bike. I put my 2-cycle lawnboy mower in there and went all over the place with my homelite trimmer that my dad used when we was a teen and my eager beaver blower. Eventually that mower died so a friend of the family gave me a honda 4 cycle that ate more oil than gas. So that seized on me one day and i put $900 down on a john deere jx75 Love that mower! Have upgraded to a dinky Ryobi 31cc trimmer and a homelite easy-pull blower. Hauled all the stuff around in my 85 s-10 for a couple years with 2x10 ramps. Had 14 yards at one time which gave me plenty of money for not having to work but like 15 hours a week.

However, this last year was my senior year of highschool so i figured i wouldn't be able to handle yards in college, i was planning on going out of state, anyway. so i gave up all my yards. But as time has gone on i'm stayin at home and going to juco to prolly just get an associates in business or somethin like that. Somethin easy to keep the parents happy.

I am currently working fulltime for a LCO here in town. Michael's Complete Lawn Care. Its great and all but $8 an hour is not what i'm used to.

So i'm thinking about getting back into things...but going a lot more. I can take night classes next fall so that would allow me to take on a lot more yards that what i originally had (had tons of offers to mow this year but i felt i wouldn't be able to keep up with last bit of highschool goin on).

I'm wanting to move up to a trailer and a mower bigger than 21" walk-behind. But not something that is so expensive i'll have to take a loan out to afford it. I've been reading things on this site for a lil bit now about Exmark zippers and have gone to their site and like what i read. I would proably go no bigger than 36" since it seems that all the homeowners down here in Wichita have really tiny gates. Besides...i'm used to mowing large yards with my Deere. Since i was just an adolescent boy when i started of course i never thought two seconds about becoming licensed and all that stuff.

So here it goes.

I need a good sized trailer that would allow me to pull it behind my little truck but be able to carry the following:

21" John deere walk-behind
No larger than 36" walk-behind mower
two commercial grade trimmers (learned from work to have backup)
one hand-held blower (one i have now)
perhaps a small back-pack blower (i'm 5'8 and 135lbs so they really kill me)
and a couple plastic trash cans.

also...A lot of my old customers liked me to bag the clippings. But I had no place to take them so i just left them on their corner for the trash men to pick up. Now i'd like to find someway to take them off. Where would i do that? I had land my family owns that i could dump the lcippings...but its a 3 hour/150 mile round trip.

How do i go about becoming licensed and ready to do taxes? Is insurance absolutely positive?

What do you suggest...just give me ideas and i'll come up with more questions. I'm making $350 a week a michael's...i know i could easily double that in gross income by myself but i can't start myyself until i have all my stuff together.

also...where would i look to put my trailer when its not in use?
Old 05-26-2003, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I just realized how complex that post is.

Basically. I need the info on the bare basics of licensing, insurance and taxing i gotta do. Not what is wise...but what will keep my outta lawsuites with the governement.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Call around to several insurance agencies and inquire about General Liability insurance. Contact your local city hall about license. Find a CPA to handle your taxes.

You have some good questions. Shows your thinking. Start reading and using the search feature. There is volumes of info on this site.

I've been running all eXmarks for several years now. They are great mowers.

Never go the cheapest way when it comes to equipment. The equipment is what makes you money. Don't end up buying everything twice. Buy good stuff once. Let it then produce $$ for you.

There is no way I would leave out in the mornings without insurance. NO WAY! Just one thing could mean everything. Get the best policy you can afford. You can upgrade as your start bringing in more money.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here's a similar thread posted in the other forum the other day...

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46714