Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

snowblowing?

is it profitable enough to go around with a snowblower and try to make money, my target areas would be with houses close together and not very big drive ways. but whats the best way to sell them on snowblowing instead of plowing, besides, no ripped up lawn, and or big tall snow banks? plus im working on a flyer ill post it when i get it figured out how i like it.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Home owners are not going to care either way for the most part. The are going to care about the price a lot more.

I had some ( very few ) home owners that assumed a snow blower could not do their property. To those I would say that I have large 2 stage blowers and have been doing this for years. Being they didn't know anyone else they let me do their property. I never disappointed them.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Worth it?
Depends on how much you can charge and how many homes you can service after the storm.

Also may pay for you to have a shovel man go out with you. One blowing driveway, one doing stairs and areas where the blower can't be used.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I find works well for me, and a lot of other guys in my area are probably doing the same thing is to advertise on craigslist or kijiji a couple days before a big storm, and you can do quite well as long as your price is right and is in comparison with most other guys. People do want their driveways cleaned asap, so once the bigger companies have all they can handle for the day & night, now your phone starts ringing off the hook on top of what you might have already picked up. You can do quite well! If you dont mind being in the cold for 20hrs plus. Stay warm my friend.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Good post. Im actually going to start off this year with a snow blower snow removal service. Just got my signs made up yesterday.

Yeah my goal to get customers is keeping the price down and im gonna add in doing all sidewalks.....as for snow plows they usually dont add that into there service (there to lazy to get out of there warm truck lol)

Im doing $25 a driveway which will include there driveway sidewalks and salt by the front door.
No Edger yet
No Blower yet
All will be bought this winter
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyclass View Post
Good post. Im actually going to start off this year with a snow blower snow removal service. Just got my signs made up yesterday.

Yeah my goal to get customers is keeping the price down and im gonna add in doing all sidewalks.....as for snow plows they usually dont add that into there service (there to lazy to get out of there warm truck lol)

Im doing $25 a driveway which will include there driveway sidewalks and salt by the front door.
Just what we need another low baller bring everyone else's profit down the drain.

I get $40 for a small driveway alone. single car width long enough to sqeeze two cars on it.

Then I try to up sell with price options. The customer can choose the level of service they can afford. Just driveway price, then quote if they would like you to also provide mail box access, cars, stairs, side walks, walk way around the house, side entrance, patios, decks, cars, etc.

I don't mess with salt. For two reasons. We clean up everything so well there is no need for salt. Up selling brings in a lot more profits then salting.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have the clients and are close together its worth it. i do around 20 driveways with a snow blower, they are all very close together and can get them done in about 6 hours and make 900 then wait for the next snow.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyclass View Post

Really? $25 a driveway? Seriously? How much do you plan on making at $25 a driveway? How long will a long driveway with a steep terrain take you? How much fuel do you plan on using? How long of a travel in between driveways? You may want to rethink your price. Id hate to be out there and get only a few calls and make only 75 bucks for doing only 3 driveways. not a good days pay if you ask me. If you charge those prices, you may as well do it for free!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyones comments...maybe i will rethink my price. What is the going rate then? 30 40 50???
No Edger yet
No Blower yet
All will be bought this winter
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes you can make good pay from that service. I like the Toro 2 stage 826 thrower for driveways/sidewalks. Think about using a powerful blow vac for steps/walkway which saves time. Also the blow vac can be used to blow off the customers cars which will keep that customer for the winter season..believe me. Then seal the deal with "I blow vac'ed your rear entry (around the door and a path to the rear yard) in case of an emergency in this weather. I charge $35.00, and get $5 to $15 tips and request to return if the snow starts again. Like the Lawn business the right tools make the work possible for good profits.
Big Tex 60SP 6.5x16 trailer
John Deere ZTRs 925aEFI 60" 920a 60" 910a 54" (2)
John Deere 7H17/WG32A
Honda HRC216HXA 21" (2)
Little Wonder Leaf Loader and Optimax 570V
Echo/Stihl handheld service equipment
Husquvarna 445/395XP
Western Pro Plus 8.5/ SnowEx SP-1075
Toro 826 OE Snow Thrower
American Family Ins
"making the st.louis area beautiful one lawn at a time"