Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM
LHS Lawns LHS Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 223
Easton/Oxford area for me in Talbot Co. Mostly cut, trim, blow with some landscaping/mulching and whatever the homeowner wants done. Also Turf Pest management. I'm blessed that I have a tight route that I travel and most of my stops are for 2 or 3 clients at a time.

No logo on my truck yet but will have one before next season. Got my DOT number this spring and my commercial pesticide applicators license so I need to get those numbers posted on my truck.

Anybody take the test for the Pest App license? I studied like a fool and passed the Core and Turf part. Will be adding some other catagories this winter.

Glad I found this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM
cutbetterthanyou cutbetterthanyou is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: intheboonies,maryland
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
Easton/Oxford area for me in Talbot Co. Mostly cut, trim, blow with some landscaping/mulching and whatever the homeowner wants done. Also Turf Pest management. I'm blessed that I have a tight route that I travel and most of my stops are for 2 or 3 clients at a time.

No logo on my truck yet but will have one before next season. Got my DOT number this spring and my commercial pesticide applicators license so I need to get those numbers posted on my truck.

Anybody take the test for the Pest App license? I studied like a fool and passed the Core and Turf part. Will be adding some other catagories this winter.

Glad I found this thread.
How did you go about doing it, i was yold that you have to have a 4 years collage degree or work for someone for a year before you can even apply for the core exam. Etheir way i feel is BS, who has time to get a 4 year degree and i sure don't have time to go work for someome for a year. Is there a way around that?

You may want to get that name on there soon . I belive that it says on the dot website that along with the numbers you have to have your bussness name displayed.

What kind of truck/mowers do you have? I'll keep my eyes open, i'm over easton some, about a half a day.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 AM
LHS Lawns LHS Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
How did you go about doing it, i was yold that you have to have a 4 years collage degree or work for someone for a year before you can even apply for the core exam. Etheir way i feel is BS, who has time to get a 4 year degree and i sure don't have time to go work for someome for a year. Is there a way around that?

You may want to get that name on there soon . I belive that it says on the dot website that along with the numbers you have to have your bussness name displayed.

What kind of truck/mowers do you have? I'll keep my eyes open, i'm over easton some, about a half a day.
I was fortunate that I was able to work for someone else for the time required. Theres no way I could do that today, just way too busy. The test was brutal. There were more guys at the exam taking it over than there were taking it the first time. I have my Nutrient Managemant license and I thot that test was wicked but it was nothing compared to this one.

You're right, I thot the requirements were way too rigid but not unless you have a degree in a related field you have to show proof of working for a licensed company for a year. There's really no way around it. When you get it you know you've earned it.

I've seen guys with just the DOT numbers and nothing else but I'm going to get the whole thing, name, numbers, etc.

I got stopped by MD DOT about 5-6 years ago. They were in the area doing random stops up and down the Eastern Shore. It just happened that I had everything right. They were mainly checking the break-away switches on the trailers and my trailer was new so that helped me. I do remember the officer saying I need my sign and DOT number posted.

Glad Im finally going to get that done.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
contractor078 contractor078 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Georgetown DE
Posts: 35
what is the requirment for you guys over there having DOT numbers?? is there a weight limit that you must meet or having commercial tags why do you need the DOT numbers?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 PM
cutbetterthanyou cutbetterthanyou is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: intheboonies,maryland
Posts: 1,174
From what i understand anything over 10000 pound or commercal needs a dot card. Numbers on anything commercal and bussness name on the truck. I don't think MD has commercal tags maybe i'm wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 PM
contractor078 contractor078 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Georgetown DE
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
From what i understand anything over 10000 pound or commercal needs a dot card. Numbers on anything commercal and bussness name on the truck. I don't think MD has commercal tags maybe i'm wrong.
so if your rig is total weight over 10K truck and trailer or just the truck? seems like just another way for the government to get more money out of our pockets. seems like trying to own your own business any more is getting harder and harder.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM
LHS Lawns LHS Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor078 View Post
so if your rig is total weight over 10K truck and trailer or just the truck? seems like just another way for the government to get more money out of our pockets. seems like trying to own your own business any more is getting harder and harder.
Combined weight of truck and and what trailer is rated. My trailer is rated at 10,000 lbs.
I went online and got my USDOT #.

Its easy just google USDOT follow directions and answer the questions and get your number. Doesn't cost anything altho you are subject to a scheduled inspection at some point.
Don't do just the MD # get the US# so if you travel out of state you're covered.

Some years ago I got my CDL Class A license which is for combined vehicles (tractor trailers) over 26000. I haven't and don't plan on driving a tractor trailer but I thot I'd cover my butt just in case they ever made you get a commercial drivers license.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM
LHS Lawns LHS Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
From what i understand anything over 10000 pound or commercal needs a dot card. Numbers on anything commercal and bussness name on the truck. I don't think MD has commercal tags maybe i'm wrong.
You're correct on every point.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 PM
cutbetterthanyou cutbetterthanyou is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: intheboonies,maryland
Posts: 1,174
Anyone leaving cuz of the storm?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-29-2011, 04:27 PM
lkendall lkendall is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ocean City, Maryland
Posts: 149
Im down in the Berlin Ocean City area.. Anyone else near?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.09920 seconds with 9 queries