Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What about the screen on the muffler. spark arrestor if you will. We usually take them right off but if it is clogged up it will make it run like sh$t
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=thielkinglawn;4190023]La,
That is exactly what I ended up doing. Picked up new fuel lines and a new carb for $65. Half hour later it runs great. Are these things worth rebuilding or just pitch it and pick up a new one when needed?

50\50 for me, just got tired of spending 20 and it not being quite right. New carb=happy me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=LaLawnGuy;4190087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thielkinglawn View Post
La,
That is exactly what I ended up doing. Picked up new fuel lines and a new carb for $65. Half hour later it runs great. Are these things worth rebuilding or just pitch it and pick up a new one when needed?

50\50 for me, just got tired of spending 20 and it not being quite right. New carb=happy me.
Posted via Mobile Device
With The newer "EPA" approved carbs they are less and less rebuildable in my opinion...with the tighter epa standards comes less forgiving fuel systems. Also with tighter epa standards the price of carb are increasing. Problem is most are factory set with tamper proof plugs, these can be removed but i found it to be illegal. Was told by my RedMax Distributer that if an EPA rep was to inspect a job or crew for violations, tampering with epa approved carbs with tamper proof plugs could pose a 5k+ fine per instance..although i only see that happening if someone pissed off the wrong person lol.

I dont see why someone doesnt design a line of solar/battery powered handheld equipment...lol problem solved, usually only using them on none rainy days anyways.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
What about the screen on the muffler. spark arrestor if you will. We usually take them right off but if it is clogged up it will make it run like sh$t
+1. First thing to check.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your Redmax dealer can adjust that carb as per the procedure in the emissions service bulletin and then reinstall the tamper proof caps. That will keep your machine epa compliant.