Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2006, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow 30 a yard installed, that place must not make any money at all. Even if i bought mulch in bulk (10+ yards) to save a little money at 23 per yard average thats only a profit of 7 bucks and i dont know of any body around here that works for that kinda money
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann
Nurseries in this area charge 30.00 per yard. Delivered and installed and don't think customers don't know it. The only reason some of them ask for a price is because there is usually a waiting list and they are in a hurry to get it done.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

how do you calculate the ammount of mulc needed for the job..measure square footage but then how do you add in the depth?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekalb lawn man
Wow 30 a yard installed, that place must not make any money at all. Even if i bought mulch in bulk (10+ yards) to save a little money at 23 per yard average thats only a profit of 7 bucks and i dont know of any body around here that works for that kinda money
Thing is, they by it by the truckload, so they probably don't pay more than $13.00 or less per yard. Use a couple "Temporary Guest Workers" to put it down and they make out okay.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinsMowing
how do you calculate the ammount of mulc needed for the job..measure square footage but then how do you add in the depth?
Say for instance you are laying it down at a depth of 3 inches...3" equals 0.25 feet. Just multiply the square footage by the depth in feet.

I use 150 sqft per yard as a benchmark...
Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow that's a ton of money per yard of mulch. We charge 47.50 per yard installed we pay 31.50 to have it blown in. We make 16.00 a yard for a phone call but we are talking 2-3 thousand yards of mulch 2 times per year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I only install natural premium wood mulches - Cedar, Hemlock and Pine bark mulches. I have in the past installed hardwood mulch from a local tree service on some large beds in a back yard.

I will not install processed dyed mulch products that are made from "recycled" material. The stuff is toxic crap! The problem is that most of it is derived from construction and deomoltiion debris that contains pressure treated wood. Spreading large amounts of material contaminated with heavy metals (chromium, copper and arsenic) is not something I am going to do. Until they better regulate what goes into these mulches you will not see me spreading them. The only exception would be something like dyed natural cedar if the customer really wanted red mulch.

My pricing is in the range of $85 to $100/yard installed with light to moderate weeding and edging.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric3077 View Post
I do cost plus $67/yard installed...so my cost is $18/yard so I charge $85/yard installed...if they get less than 3 yards I tack on $35 for delivery because otherwise the job isn't really worth it.
Good gosh, I wish I could do that here. I thought my flat rate of $80/yard was high. Good for you, bad for customer. Keep it up though
Old 11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch

I am very careful on mulch estimates. No two houses are the same. How far do you have to transport the mulch? Are shrubs packed tight together? Can you dump and spread or are you on your hands and knees to get the job done correctly. Also charge extra to pull weeds and prep beds-edging. If you entire business is based on price there is always a non insured hack out there do to it for less. Price where you will make money taking your time to do a great job. Happy customers call again price shoppers call everyone.