Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker Mower (MTGHS) 26 HP EFI kohler AND Fuel pump Problem

I have a 2001-02 Mower and here is the problem. The fuel pump (mounted outside the fuel tank on the side) has two wires leading to it. When wires are removed and key turned to the run position (1 click to the right, just before starting) I get a reading of 13 volts for a second (which is normal). when running properly you will hear the pump engage, however when the two wires are connected and turn the key to run I get no reading at all. I ran an addl wire from the ground terminal and ran to the frame and nothing. Area on frame scraped clean and down to the metal. If I put in some starter fluid the engine will just about turn over but this pump does not work. this fuel pump is brand new as I thought the problem was the pump itself. I tested new fuel pump by attaching a low charge to it and it ran. I don;t quite understanding the elctrical system on this unit, however it seems I am not getting a proper ground.

In the shop now but been sitting there for about 5 days. If I can get some good help I am tempted to just have one of my men pick up the machine and attempt ourselves.

Did anyone have the same problem and repair it.

Thanks,

nospin
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have current with the fuel pump out of the system but no power with the fuel pump wired into the system it sounds like a dead short to ground in the fuel pump to me.

I'm not great with mechanics but thats what it sounds like.

If you want to be sure eliminate the ground from the pump connection and run a jumper from that terminal to the neg side on the battery.
If it still won't run the pump it may be you need a new pump.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaton View Post
I have a 2001-02 Mower and here is the problem. The fuel pump (mounted outside the fuel tank on the side) has two wires leading to it. When wires are removed and key turned to the run position (1 click to the right, just before starting) I get a reading of 13 volts for a second (which is normal). when running properly you will hear the pump engage, however when the two wires are connected and turn the key to run I get no reading at all. I ran an addl wire from the ground terminal and ran to the frame and nothing. Area on frame scraped clean and down to the metal. If I put in some starter fluid the engine will just about turn over but this pump does not work. this fuel pump is brand new as I thought the problem was the pump itself. I tested new fuel pump by attaching a low charge to it and it ran. I don;t quite understanding the elctrical system on this unit, however it seems I am not getting a proper ground.

In the shop now but been sitting there for about 5 days. If I can get some good help I am tempted to just have one of my men pick up the machine and attempt ourselves.

Did anyone have the same problem and repair it.

Thanks,

nospin

I know this is an old thread but do you happen to remember what the problem was? I am having the same issue.
Posted via Mobile Device