Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I disagree about the avoiding Bushmaster. In the last twenty odd years I have fired well over 100,000 rounds of mixed density ammo through three separate Bushmasters with no problems.

My current AR is a Bushmaster modeled after the Colt XM-15A1, commonly known as the Commando. Cost me $800 delivered to my door and has fired well in excess of 10,000 rounds of varying grades of ammo with no issues.

Regarding the suppressor a "permit" is not the correct terminology - what you will require to lawfully possess a suppressor is a one time tax stamp acquired through either the BATFE or a licensed class III dealer. The stamp is for just the suppressor which may be switched between weapons of similar projectile diameter.

Remember though, firing ammo which exceeds the sound barrier will still result in a muzzle signature although depending upon the pressure the fired ammo operates at - the muzzle signature may be attenuated somewhat.

The real benefit to a suppressor is heavier projectiles at lower velocities which may require some tuning to get an AR styled weapon platform to operate reliably.

If you are set upon acquiring a suppressor your AR barrel will have to have a slower twist or rifling rate to stabilize the heavier projectile in order to achieve repeated accuracy with subsequent shots.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lvr2 View Post
Smith and Wesson M&P 15 has suited me well. Cost effective and has been 100% reliable. If I could only have one I'd still recommend an AK however.
+1

I purchased this rifle on election day in 2008 in celebration of 2 establishment supported anti gun presidential candidates both part D&R ...and never fired it. I used to really be into the tactical teddy thing. Just zero time for it.

That changes this winter.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fun thread, the debate for the best AR/AK is forever on going and very much like ford/chevy or Scag/Exmark or whatever. My simple advice is ask yourself a few questions...

1. what is my main purpose of this weapon... self defense? hobby shooting? some kind of critter shooting?
2. what will be your main distances? short range (home def.) mid range or long?
3. what is your budget? this is very important, there is some big differences in parts on a $650.00 AR and a $1500.00 or more AR.

I would challenge you to take a week or longer and check out some various AR forums, ask questions, read the threads all before you buy. I thought I knew a pretty good amount about them and found myself learning a ton more after reading on these.

I recently bought a Daniel Defense AR it is one of the better models and thus cost me a bit more. That being said there are many good models DD, Bushmaster, Colt ( a very good gun, although I feel you are paying a premium for the name) Spikes Tactical, (a lot of law enforcement use)NoveskE (one of the best you can buy IMHO), LMT, and on and on. All are good and will do what you want it to do, but here again you need to figure out what you are going to use it for and how you want to configure it. Shorter barrel, shorter range.Will you need a scope? don't want a long range set up on a short range rifle. Do you want a chrome lined barrel? (I did) what about various other parts (hand guards, sights, internal parts?) all things to consider before pouring a ton of money into it.

PM me if you have any questions

Take care,

Jeff
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
OK, thanks for the advice guys. I am looking a suppresor models as well. What are your thoughts on these?
Getting a suppressor requires a bit of money, time, and knowledge on how they work.

Research it before you buy. A lot.

Personally, im going the 12.5" m4 and surefire suppressor route. Powerful, accurate, won't wake the neighbors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

While they may work fine they do have quite a few substandard parts assemblies on them. Semi auto carriers. Bolts not mpi checked. 1/9 barrels. Commercial buffer tubes..etc. For the same price you can get a new/used colt or new spikes gun that's better in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
I disagree about the avoiding Bushmaster. In the last twenty odd years I have fired well over 100,000 rounds of mixed density ammo through three separate Bushmasters with no problems.

My current AR is a Bushmaster modeled after the Colt XM-15A1, commonly known as the Commando. Cost me $800 delivered to my door and has fired well in excess of 10,000 rounds of varying grades of ammo with no issues.

Regarding the suppressor a "permit" is not the correct terminology - what you will require to lawfully possess a suppressor is a one time tax stamp acquired through either the BATFE or a licensed class III dealer. The stamp is for just the suppressor which may be switched between weapons of similar projectile diameter.

Remember though, firing ammo which exceeds the sound barrier will still result in a muzzle signature although depending upon the pressure the fired ammo operates at - the muzzle signature may be attenuated somewhat.

The real benefit to a suppressor is heavier projectiles at lower velocities which may require some tuning to get an AR styled weapon platform to operate reliably.

If you are set upon acquiring a suppressor your AR barrel will have to have a slower twist or rifling rate to stabilize the heavier projectile in order to achieve repeated accuracy with subsequent shots.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well here is the thing. I have a HUGE collection.

I have long range rifles. 280, 25-06 (deadly accurate), 308, 300 ultra with a 600yd scope and bipod. Plus many many many more bolt action rifles. My shot gun collection is extensive as well which includes over and unders, semi autos, pump action, and even a 12ga barrel for my TC. My handgun collection is extensive as well. I own 3 TC's with just about every barrel made for them. From a 223 barrel to a 454 and 12 ga. I also have several colt 1911's. Many revolvers including my favorite a 41 Mag special order with all brass trimming that a gun store offered me $6000 for it. I have several derengers and even pen guns. I have my great great grandmothers single shot derenger that she carried in her bra during the prohibition as my great great grandfather ran whisky. I have a handfull of carry guns as well.

What is missing is an AR. I have a few .22 semis that i can shoot fast as all hell and they are accurate but dont have the punch behind them obviously. What i am thinking is that i would like to "finish" the collection with an ar. A fast shooter with a little punch (223 is weak compared to my rifles) at least enough to do some damage if need be and that will repeat quickly. I want accuracy and i want cheap ammo to stock. Unlike my 300 ultra the ammo for a 223 ($300) for 1000 rounds is CHEAP. I have even seen it as low as $219 for 1000 rounds. I dont mind buying used as long as it was properly cared for.

I do want an ar that will withstand the elements. Lets face it, if poop ever hit the fan i think the ar will be the #1 rife as ammo is cheap and it has enough punch to do the job. I am not buying it for "home defense". I am not buying it for hunting. I am buying it to round off the collection and to have a "bush" gun incase poop hits the fan. We are recovering from a natural disaster right now as CT was hit hard by an early snow storm and we were without power for 8 days. We were without fuel for 4 days. People were getting weird. So it got me thinking about what i would want/need if something even more catostrophic happened and i needed a tool for survival and such. As i was thinking about it and going through the rundown of my collection to decide which weapons would most suit that purpose i realized i had a missing piece to the puzzle. I have close range, long range, but i realized i was missing a good mid-range repeater. So here i am looking for the right one. I a not looking for the best of the best. I was considering a suppresor as i would think in the field (which is what the gun would be owned and intended for) it would be beneficial. I do want a light on it and i do want open sights as i want to be fast with it. I have plenty of scoped guns if necessary. I would want it to weather well. Again, inteded for use in a catastrophy. (i know it is unlikely i would need it, but 1 purchase will free my mind knowing i have all bases covered) I am used to steel guns that i oil and baby. Guns that are scribed and pretty etc. This is NOT what i want out of this ar. I need to to be tough. My 300 ultra mag is SS. I also have several SS handguns and my carry guns will do well in the weather dept for a while as well. I am assuming the ar' are made for what i am describing correct? I want a workhorse. I have super accurate guns. My main aobjective for the ar is to weather well, be reliable, strong, and last with a lot of use. Anymore you guys want to add to this i am all ears and i look forward to posting pics of the new adittion after i decide which one to go with.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
My main aobjective for the ar is to weather well, be reliable, strong, and last with a lot of use. Anymore you guys want to add to this i am all ears and i look forward to posting pics of the new adittion after i decide which one to go with.
First off, I'm JEALOUS of your collection, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Anyway, if this is all you want why not just get an AK and call it good? What you just described is the Kalashnikov to a tee, plus the maintenance is ridiculously low. For example, I bought an AK47 used at a gun show last year with the wood stock and a composite Dragunov style stock, optics mount, 4 magazines and a Timney trigger for $400. It will out shoot the S&W AR everyday and ammo is just as cheap.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Screw the AK, buy be American , buy American.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you listed many of the reasons I bought mine, I researched long and hard for a couple months before I made the purchase, looking bacck I would not do ANYTHING different. check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEnwl...yer_embedded#!

This is a tough rifle, very good parts an one of the lightest out there (very important if you have to start shooting when shtf) and you have one of the best rail systems out there very easy to add any type of scope you want.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lvr2 View Post
First off, I'm JEALOUS of your collection, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Anyway, if this is all you want why not just get an AK and call it good? What you just described is the Kalashnikov to a tee, plus the maintenance is ridiculously low. For example, I bought an AK47 used at a gun show last year with the wood stock and a composite Dragunov style stock, optics mount, 4 magazines and a Timney trigger for $400. It will out shoot the S&W AR everyday and ammo is just as cheap.
Because the ak round sucks past 200 yards. Youre forgetting the ergonomic nightmare of the safety and magazine release. Magazine changes? Harder than an ar. Sights? They suck. So does elevation and windage. The ak was made for people who had to be told not to go crap in their well. Punt, while differing with me on some issues, seems to be a normal, rational person.

I have left an m16 in the top hatch of an aav and after several days of operations, even while being covered in dirt and sand..worked.

It's not a case of buy American..it's a case of buy the better weapon. It costs more, yes, but the quality is more evident in it.
Posted via Mobile Device