Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
Well here is the thing. I have a HUGE collection.

I have long range rifles. 280, 25-06 (deadly accurate), 308, 300 ultra with a 600yd scope and bipod. Plus many many many more bolt action rifles. My shot gun collection is extensive as well which includes over and unders, semi autos, pump action, and even a 12ga barrel for my TC. My handgun collection is extensive as well. I own 3 TC's with just about every barrel made for them. From a 223 barrel to a 454 and 12 ga. I also have several colt 1911's. Many revolvers including my favorite a 41 Mag special order with all brass trimming that a gun store offered me $6000 for it. I have several derengers and even pen guns. I have my great great grandmothers single shot derenger that she carried in her bra during the prohibition as my great great grandfather ran whisky. I have a handfull of carry guns as well.

What is missing is an AR. I have a few .22 semis that i can shoot fast as all hell and they are accurate but dont have the punch behind them obviously. What i am thinking is that i would like to "finish" the collection with an ar. A fast shooter with a little punch (223 is weak compared to my rifles) at least enough to do some damage if need be and that will repeat quickly. I want accuracy and i want cheap ammo to stock. Unlike my 300 ultra the ammo for a 223 ($300) for 1000 rounds is CHEAP. I have even seen it as low as $219 for 1000 rounds. I dont mind buying used as long as it was properly cared for.
I do want an ar that will withstand the elements. Lets face it, if poop ever hit the fan i think the ar will be the #1 rife as ammo is cheap and it has enough punch to do the job. I am not buying it for "home defense". I am not buying it for hunting. I am buying it to round off the collection and to have a "bush" gun incase poop hits the fan. We are recovering from a natural disaster right now as CT was hit hard by an early snow storm and we were without power for 8 days. We were without fuel for 4 days. People were getting weird. So it got me thinking about what i would want/need if something even more catostrophic happened and i needed a tool for survival and such. As i was thinking about it and going through the rundown of my collection to decide which weapons would
most suit that purpose i realized i had a missing piece to the puzzle. I have close range, long range, but i realized i was missing a good mid-range repeater. So here i am looking for the right one. I a not looking for the best of the best. I was considering a suppresor as i would think in the field (which is what the gun would be owned and intended for) it would be beneficial. I do want a light on

it and i do want open sights as i want to be fast with it. I have plenty of scoped guns if necessary. I would want it to weather well. Again, inteded for use in a catastrophy. (i know it is unlikely i would need it, but 1 purchase will free my mind knowing i have all bases covered) I am used to steel guns that i oil and baby. Guns that are scribed and pretty etc. This is NOT what i want out of this ar. I need to to be tough. My 300 ultra mag is SS. I also have several SS handguns and my carry guns will do well in the weather dept for a while as well. I am assuming the ar' are made for what i am describing correct? I want a workhorse. I have super accurate guns. My main aobjective for the ar is to weather well, be reliable, strong, and last with a lot of use. Anymore you guys want to add to
this i am all ears and i look forward to posting pics of the new adittion after i decide which one to go with.
Spikes tactical
Colt
Daniel defense
Bravo company
Lewis machine and tool

Buy from one of those and youll be good. Get a midlength if possible. Optical sights are nearly always faster than iron sights. A streamlight tlr1 light that mounts on a rail is cheap and works.

Being prepared isn't about having a gun. It's a mindset. Having extra cash set aside for bills, food, water, and a couple guns and plenty of ammo and parts to keep them running is far superior to having an arsenal.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyube View Post
The m16/ar15 series beats the ak any day.

Google spikes tactical and buy a complete mid length ar15 rifle for around 800$. Add a rail optic and light and spend some money on ammo.

Avoid the mini 14. The ar is a far better target, Hunting, and self defense weapon than a mini14.

Avoid anything made by bushmaster, dpms, Hesse, Olympic, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
What do you have against Bushmaster? Mine is pretty damn accuate and reliable.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
What do you have against Bushmaster? Mine is pretty damn accuate and reliable.

For what you get with what you paid you can get a much better rifle elsewhere. A real military spec barrel, bolt carrier group, buffer tube, and higher quality steel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Spikes tactical
Colt
Daniel defense
Bravo company
Lewis machine and tool

Buy from one of those and youll be good. Get a midlength if possible. Optical sights are nearly always faster than iron sights. A streamlight tlr1 light that mounts on a rail is cheap and works.

Being prepared isn't about having a gun. It's a mindset. Having extra cash set aside for bills, food, water, and a couple guns and plenty of ammo and parts to keep them running is far superior to having an arsenal.
I have those other things already

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=punt66;4209565]Well here is the thing. I have a HUGE collection.

Quote:
Because the ak round sucks past 200 yards. Youre forgetting the ergonomic nightmare of the safety and magazine release. Magazine changes? Harder than an ar. Sights? They suck. So does elevation and windage. The ak was made for people who had to be told not to go crap in their well. Punt, while differing with me on some issues, seems to be a normal, rational person.

I have left an m16 in the top hatch of an aav and after several days of operations, even while being covered in dirt and sand..worked.

It's not a case of buy American..it's a case of buy the better weapon. It costs more, yes, but the quality is more evident in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, I guess I struck a nerve there buddy. I wasn't trying to offend anybody. Apparently you're just the sensitive type. I have nothing against the AR platform, I think it's fantastic and serves its purpose extremely well.

My point was just that the way you described your situation is pretty much the MO of an AK, as most informed gun owners would likely agree. And I'm not saying the AR is unreliable even in DI guise, if it were our military wouldn't issue it.

And I think you're misinformed as to the capabilities of the 7.62x54 rounds capabilities. A dragunov style rifle will easily engage targets beyond 800yds. Besides which, you said you had long range rifles and didn't want another one, so why is that relevant to you anyway? As for sights, adjustments etc., it's a matter of preference and training.

Just my .02c from an owner and enthusiast of both platforms.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soon as i get the money im buying one of these. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/18336
Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM2701-1.html
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Big difference between 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9754mmR

And 7.62 x 51....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9751mm_NATO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK, i am leaning tword this one http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

300 whisper is calling my name but its really not what i want. Even though it is hahaha

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=f50lvr2;4209726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
Well here is the thing. I have a HUGE collection.

Wow, I guess I struck a nerve there buddy. I wasn't trying to offend anybody. Apparently you're just the sensitive type. I have nothing against the AR platform, I think it's fantastic and serves its purpose extremely well.

My point was just that the way you described your situation is pretty much the MO of an AK, as most informed gun owners would likely agree. And I'm not saying the AR is unreliable even in DI guise, if it were our military wouldn't issue it.

And I think you're misinformed as to the capabilities of the 7.62x54 rounds capabilities. A dragunov style rifle will easily engage targets beyond 800yds. Besides which, you said you had long range rifles and didn't want another one, so why is that relevant to you anyway? As for sights, adjustments etc., it's a matter of preference and training.

Just my .02c from an owner and enthusiast of both platforms.
Isreali Galil IMO is the better choice over a AK. Though its the steel in the hands of its user that makes you a top shot not facts and numbers. Simple things like magazine changes is on its user, there is always a better way, it comes down to training really.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics