Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=f50lvr2;4209726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
Well here is the thing. I have a HUGE collection.
Wow, I guess I struck a nerve there buddy. I wasn't trying to offend anybody. Apparently you're just the sensitive type. I have nothing against the AR platform, I think it's fantastic and serves its purpose extremely well.

My point was just that the way you described your situation is pretty much the MO of an AK, as most informed gun owners would likely agree. And I'm not saying the AR is unreliable even in DI guise, if it were our military wouldn't issue it.
And I think you're misinformed as to the capabilities of the 7.62x54 rounds capabilities. A dragunov style rifle will easily engage targets beyond 800yds. Besides which, you said you had long range rifles and didn't want another one, so why is that relevant to you anyway? As for sights, adjustments etc., it's a matter of preference and training.
Just my .02c from an owner and enthusiast of both platforms.
You didn't it's just hard to throw in smileys on mobile. An ak I owned had a kaboom and nearly cost me my eyesight and destroyed the rifle. I had it rebuilt and it still had some malfunctions until it was broken in but had a rough time getting there. I was referring to the 7.62x39.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
OK, i am leaning tword this one http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

300 whisper is calling my name but its really not what i want. Even though it is hahaha
It's got a softer barrel than the others, 4140. 1-8 twist..for the price you could build a really nice spikes rifle with a better quality barrel and parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should probably apologize for my snarky post. I was having a crappy day and probably typed before I thought. I guess I was the one being a little too sensitive. Anyway, it sounds like you are an informed buyer that knows what you are looking for.

My point with the 7.62x54 round being that the AK platform is just as adaptable as the AR platform. Just like an AR10 system will be superior in terms of range and stopping power than an AR15 system. After your experience with an AK it's understandable you would not be looking for another one. I wish you good luck with your new purchase whatever it may be and hope you enjoy shooting it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyube View Post
It's got a softer barrel than the others, 4140. 1-8 twist..for the price you could build a really nice spikes rifle with a better quality barrel and parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
ok, help me lay it out.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Smith and Wesson M&P 15 is nice rifle, or if your looking towards more of a deer hunting caliber bump up to a AR-10 (.308 or 7.62 NATO).

Or if you don't like AR look but want the reliablity of combat rifle. Springfield M-1A (M-14) is nothing but bad @zz.

There shouldn't be a issue firing 5.56 or .223 stamped ammo. There is no difference between the two. The only thing you might have a issue with firing stamped 5.56 if it was belted or de-linked machine gun ammo.
If you research the issue, there is a difference betwen 5.56 and .223. I think and, please don't quote me as I am going strickly on memory, that the 5.56 is loaded to much higher pressures and there is a slight chamber/throat difference that may lead to problems when firing 5.56 in a .223 labeled gun.

I do not have references to such articles, but have read several.

Now I have fired a lot of 5.56 through my Rem 700 varmit special that is labeled .223 and had no problems. I acutally purchased the rifle back in 1971 when I was in the USAF so I could shoot military ammo. I did this blissfuly for a lot of years before reading of this warning.

You will probably not have any problems doing this, but the warnings are out there and you are on your own when using ammo that is not proper or standard for the chambering.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
ok, help me lay it out.
Chrome lining of the barrel or melonite is mandatory.

Here's an idea as to what goes into making the proper barrel. Normal button rifled barrels are good but hammer forged are better.
Mil-Spec Barrel Steel (Certified Mil-B-11595E)
BCM barrel steel is Mil-Spec per MIL-B-11595E, and is independently certified. This grade (CMV) of steel is a Mil-Spec steel used in the USGI M16 family of rifles; it is stronger and will last longer than the typical barrels offered in the commercial market. This Mil-Spec grade steel gets itsí additional strength and rigidity from an increase in carbon and/or vanadium in the alloy. This will offer increased barrel life and performance through use in all types of extreme environments and temperatures.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah you're right on the money. Shooting hotter 5.56 in a 223 chambered semi auto can lead to trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
If you research the issue, there is a difference betwen 5.56 and .223. I think and, please don't quote me as I am going strickly on memory, that the 5.56 is loaded to much higher pressures and there is a slight chamber/throat difference that may lead to problems when firing 5.56 in a .223 labeled gun.

I do not have references to such articles, but have read several.

Now I have fired a lot of 5.56 through my Rem 700 varmit special that is labeled .223 and had no problems. I acutally purchased the rifle back in 1971 when I was in the USAF so I could shoot military ammo. I did this blissfuly for a lot of years before reading of this warning.

You will probably not have any problems doing this, but the warnings are out there and you are on your own when using ammo that is not proper or standard for the chambering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lvr2 View Post
I should probably apologize for my snarky post. I was having a crappy day and probably typed before I thought. I guess I was the one being a little too sensitive. Anyway, it sounds like you are an informed buyer that knows what you are looking for.

My point with the 7.62x54 round being that the AK platform is just as adaptable as the AR platform. Just like an AR10 system will be superior in terms of range and stopping power than an AR15 system. After your experience with an AK it's understandable you would not be looking for another one. I wish you good luck with your new purchase whatever it may be and hope you enjoy shooting it.
I don't think it's as adaptable as the ar, still. True dragunovs are very rare in the us and are different from regular ak rifles. I can convert my m4 to a number of different calibers by swapping the upper receiver. I will purchase another ak in the future because I really miss that last one I had. It was a very pretty looking rifle but I needed a sub compact glock for concealed carry. I already had the dedicated semi auto rifle taken care of so it was unneeded.

The ar15 in 20" or 16" is good out to 500 and plenty of times farther. The extra range of the 7.62 rounds only comes into play after that. No such thing as stopping power..a lot of people have survived 7.62. What matters with each round is making solid hits. They will do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What you think about the one i posted?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you want a Piston or DI operated AR-15?