Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric,
I like the Perennial rye because of the very dark green color and finer texture than intermediate.
In regards to rust, Its shows up on the areas that are lean on N.
Same idea as managing dollar spot. Last year i got a little lean and i would notice my shoes would be orange after walking around. Avoid moisture stress and N deficiency. In our climate, it should basically be always growing and dark green.

I don't apply N to push growth for the horses although they munch it down to fairway height if you don't rotate where they graze. These horses are show horses and are not roaming a pasture. They are fed like kings in their stables.Since I can't apply any herbicides or fungicides, due to not wanting to take any sort of risk or being blamed for any sort of illness in a horse that cost 7 figures, I seed at a pretty heavy rate to reduce weed competition, do my best to get good seed to soil contact, and water the piss out of it the first 4 days to be sure I get good germination. Then back off pretty quick. I feed it after it gets a couple leaves and mow it once it gets to be about 4-5 inches and slowly lower the height so that you don't rip the seedlings.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

Correct on the sailor. That's the reason we escaped Atlanta for the GA coast.

When are you planning on seeding? Rye germinates very quickly but does take a while to have a stand that can handle traffic.

I would recommend using Umaxx 47-0-0 once the turf is up. At a pound on N per thousand, you will get 23500 square feet from one 50# bag. This will also give you a 12-16 week release. For the money and longevity, it is pretty cost effective. It also breaks down very quickly so you are not sucking up the granules if you/they are bagging this area. I do recommend bagging rye as it is a pretty aggressive grower with a lot of clipping.

Hope this helps.

Fair Winds,
Kevin
Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,
Be careful with using old seed. I put some out 2 weeks ago at my house, it rained for 3 days straight and got no germination.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
Ric,
Be careful with using old seed. I put some out 2 weeks ago at my house, it rained for 3 days straight and got no germination.
Plant

This is a learning Experience for me. We are far enough South that Over Seeding is not real popular.

The customer is getting all the seed for free from the Golf Course. I really don't have a say in what he uses. My part was Killing out the weeds, Fire Ants and two Feral Bee colonies. Fl Landscape is doing the slit seeding but the customer is supplying the seed and what every fertilizer is used. The game plan is to use the new seed on the Party area and the old seed else where until used up. We are waiting for the Golf Course to finish doing their over seeding before getting the leftover seed.

The Customer has a Shooting Range and part of our deal for doing the work at cost is the right to target shoot any Sunday. I sighted in my old 22's and Fl Landscape shot his new 9 MM that is very actuate.

Kevin

Many Years ago I had a Flying Dutchman. It is one of the most complicated One design Sail Boats ever made. I could adjust the Genoa Cunningham or any number of sail tweaking while hiking port or starboard. My boat weighted 265 pounds and had 395 sq ft of sail with the Chute up. I never mastered the art of sailing, but enjoyed it for many, many years. The Olympics dropped the Flying Dutchman in favor of the 505 and I believe the Dutchman is not real popular any more.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

Never have had the privilege to sail a Flying Dutchman. Have seen them and they look like a lot of fun. I am currently restoring a Kittiwake 23. She is an ALberg design. Full keeled, very similar to Cape Dory.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillerstick View Post
Ric,

Never have had the privilege to sail a Flying Dutchman. Have seen them and they look like a lot of fun. I am currently restoring a Kittiwake 23. She is an ALberg design. Full keeled, very similar to Cape Dory.
Kevin

I believe the South Coast 23 was a Albery Design also. While I have never sailed a Kittiwake 23 I have sail a South Coast 23 many times. The performance level will never meet a Dutchman but it is a lot closer than many other boats. It has been many years since I have swung from a Trapeze wire in white capped water. The Dutchman Planed at 14 knots of wind. I used to one man my Dutchman from the wire with a Tiller extension. I had to be real careful not to capsize one man because righting a Dutchman with the sails up is a hard two man job and impossible for me alone.

I am into Motor Boats now. I have 4 boats right now but only two have trailers or are actually being used. My bass boat and Aquatic spray boat are on trailers. I have a project small Pontoon Boat which is a Paddle wheel peddle driven. BTW I posted pictures of it in Off Topic. I just finished Cleaning it up. It had Cement splashed all over it. I am still looking for a way to power the Paddle Wheel. I don't plan to keep the Paddle wheel boat and hope to use it as Trade Material for some other project. I got to keep something to amuse me.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The Kittiwake and the Southcoast are almost the exact same boat. Same mold for the hull. The Kitti has a little more teak on the exterior and the deck plan is slightly different.

Boats are a great and expensive hobby/obsession. I am in fert and chemical sales and hope to make the Kitti my office away from home this Spring.

Kevin
Old 11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillerstick View Post
The Kittiwake and the Southcoast are almost the exact same boat. Same mold for the hull. The Kitti has a little more teak on the exterior and the deck plan is slightly different.

Boats are a great and expensive hobby/obsession. I am in fert and chemical sales and hope to make the Kitti my office away from home this Spring.

Kevin
Kevin

Like I said that boat will never be the High performances of the Flying Dutchman Olympic Class One Design. But it does have better performance than most cabin boats. It is a very fine sailing boat and very sea worthy. I wouldn't be afraid to sail it to the Bahamas etc. I started with a Home made wooden Sail Fish off a set of plans. The boat was so heavy it couldn't go to wind. I then jumped a very big giant step to the Dutchman. After sailing the Dutchman for many years I still never mastered it.

PS. My Harbor is so shallow that full keel boats are not popular here. We have Two Identical upscale Sail Boat Canal Neighborhoods in my area. The single lot 80 X 120 Property values differences by a $ 100 K. The reason is the one neighborhood can't get deep draft boats to the Harbor during winter's lower tide levels. Summer boating for Deep Draft Boats is limited to high tide also.

Plantculture

This last spring I purchased a 15 Pound bag of Sahara Bermuda from Wally World for $ 42.00. Thinking I was getting a bargain now that Bermuda Seed is $ 4.00 a Pound. I don't think I got one seed to germinate. That kind of surprised me because it had a Nov of 2010 test date on it and I was planting it in June of 2011. Only thing I can think is Wally World stored the seed over the winter in a bad spot and it got cooked by high temperatures. Freezing would not have hurt it.

Last edited by Ric; 11-10-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-10-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ric,

Rye is really simple - you will see you are overthinking this after your first application of good seed. You are not looking for year long results so simply broadcasting the seeds over and watering properly to keep the seeds moist and seven days later you will have a rye lawn. During this time of year in our area it does very very well especially once we are below the mid 80's.
Truthfully IMHO rather than trying to fight disease that may come along could prove more expensive than getting another bag of seed and repairing the areas as needed. Remember this lawn is ready in roughly 7 days.
My recommendations would be easy on the N since it is just for a 1 time event. This turf will grow like crazy during this time of year. You will get several inches of growth in a two week period if allowed to go that long. I would inform the owner that to keep it nice and tidy looking he will most likely need weekly mowing.

Last but not least - this turf stain much worse than most of our southern turfs. Clippings on any paved area will stain if stepped on prior to removing or if the mower tire runs over it before they are removed with the blower. This would be a big concern I think you should ensure the owner covers with the bride who I would presume would make a appearance in her white wedding gown - which of course cost a good amount of money - and I can almost assure you especially if the grass is freshly cut, it will stain that dress or any other material that is dragged across it.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
What was your base turf? how old was the seed? What was the day and night temp when you seeded? How much did you water? Did it get pithium? What soil prep did you do besides verifying?
Water was just what it got from rainfall. Daytime was probably around 65-70 night time mid 40s. Seed was simply broadcasted. Base was mix of bermuda with minimal fescue. Some times I get a great stand others I get nothing. $*%@ grows great in the bed of my truck