Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2000, 10:18 PM

Turfman, you're out in left field on this one. The problem comes from having a strange condition of the truck and trailer parked on the convex curve of a slope transitioning to a flat. It's plenty easy to miss when you get ready to load, been there, done that. Overloading has nothing to do with it, all your pontificating aside. It's a matter of the operator missing the signals and finding out too late that he's in trouble.
Old 09-07-2000, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Turfman,first off,your wacko,second I have a class A CDL with all endorsments,so I know the scales and DOT well.If you listened to my post I said my 5ton trailer,that is a 10000 Lb gvwr,it has two 5400 lb axles with 12" brakes.My Dodge has a 18000 GCWR,It weighs 6680 with me in it,add the 7500 lbs and total is 14180.Im way below rated limit,and rear axle of truck is 6084 lbs.I am legal,My C30 has a 454 with 4.56 axle in rear,it has a 19000 GCWR,it is 2wd and weighs 7000 with me it,thats how I got the tow rating.It is 10000gvwr.You opened a can of worms here.
Old 09-08-2000, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The simplest measure would be to modify your ramps as mentioned above or put a pair of jack legs at the back of your trailer. Its not overloading so much.Its weight distribution. My old IH 6 tonner had a 4.6 tonne front axle
and a 10.5 rear axle.Consequently,I could only have about
3/4 tonne load weight over the front axle and still be legal.Solution? Move the load to the rear. A freind of mine loads his tractor/slasher on the back of his 5 tonner
and the front wheels of the truck come up about 4' into the
air.

Karl
Old 09-08-2000, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Whatever...

First off, you answered my questions about the gvw etc. I accept your rational on that aspect. I still maintain that if the rear wheels of the truck come off the ground, it is an unsafe loading operation. Others have suggested using jack stands on the back, makes sense. Maybe trailer axles placement affect it.

Geometrical transition ?? Come on now. Proper spotting of the trailer and tow vehicles make sense. How about a flat surface to load on ?

Wacko?? Where the hell did I ever say anything to you to justify that comment ?? Don't get so pissed off dude,you may disagree with my take and I may disagree with yours, but it certainley does not make either one of us wacko.

It is my personal opinion that it was an unsafe loading operation. I am a state certified on the job accident and auto accident investigator. I have a perfect safety record in 4 years of operations management of 25 employee's. That's no lost time accidents in both construction and maintenance, and no chargable motor vehicle accidents.

If thats wacko, then I'll just keep taking that safety record with the big fat workmans comp rebate I get every year. My personal share of that rebate was $ 1500 this last year.

Landscape Contractor
Landscape Specialty Services
Forest Grove, OR
Old 09-08-2000, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well if your trailer is lifting the tow vehicle you should try choking the trailers wheels.Even if it is not overloading the trailer it can still lift it if there is no support under the rear of the trailer>I know it happened to me when loading a bobcat on a trailer that the rental store gave me.
Old 09-09-2000, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Turfman,I said your wacko for thinking im overloaded when im not,you connected the rear wheels going in the air with being overloaded,as if that were a measurement for being overloaded.I carry 2 1ft sections of 6x6 with me,I use one under the togue jack when taking tailer off,and i use them both under the rear of the trailer before i load something heavy,This never happens then,but my help has forgot to throw the 6x6's in the truck a time or 2 and then we chock the wheels with rocks,put the truck in 4x4,with it running,set the brake and load as quick as we can,and the back of the truck will come about a foot off the ground.I didnt mean to offend you,my wfe says im wacko too for being on LS so much.
Old 09-09-2000, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Try a Tilt Bed.....

We bought a tilt bed trailer, 19 foot with 5000# axles. Tilt bed makes ramps and all this other crap a moot point. I by far would use the tilt bed for everything I haul weight accordingly. This eliminates positional weight transfer and spreads it out over that curve that I think Alan reffered to. We don't have to lift ramps and the whole load / unload process takes about half the time. We are going to get another one because it makes equipment transfer between our job sites much easier.

Landscape Contractor
Landscape Specialty Services
Forest Grove, OR