Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tiled Roof Clips

I have my first tiled roof customer. The house has gutters but on the peaks obviously there are no gutters. I wanted to hear from anyone who has done tiled roof clips before.

This house has flat tiles so the trim on the peaks is the L-shaped trim and not the barrel trim you see on arched type tiled roofs.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

you want to be very carefull if you have to get onto the roof itself,,,as for you will be breaking a lot of tiles,,i installed tile roofs for 5 years when i lived in arizona,when walking on them you have to place your feet where each tile overlaps each other,that is the strongest point,,also remember that each roof is nailed itleast 3 rows all the way around,,if you break those they are a pain to fix,,and stay away from any cuts ,,my advice would be to do anything from a ladder or lift,,not sure if this is what you were looking for
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I will echo that I hate tile, concrete or barrel roofs as well. we try to be very careful and only do the edges. Litesource has an extra thick all in one clip for thicker roofs if you can get to the edge. It sounds as though the edge is covered? not sure how the water runs off.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I will echo that I hate tile, concrete or barrel roofs as well. we try to be very careful and only do the edges. Litesource has an extra thick all in one clip for thicker roofs if you can get to the edge. It sounds as though the edge is covered? not sure how the water runs off.
It's the exposed peaks of tiled roofs where there is no runoff and trimmed out edges that is a little challenging. The trim if layered like a bunch of dominoes that have fallen over. The trim basically over laps the piece next to it on both ends.

I'm going to test the All In One Clips I have and see if they will work. I think in spots where the trim tiles fit tight the clip will be able to slide under the tiles. In spots where there is a gap under the trim tiles the clip can clamp down on the tile.

If it looks iffy I'll order some of LiteSource's tile clips.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried the All In One clip at the customers house today and it looks like it will work just fine.
Owner- David