Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2003, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Reel trim mower

This will probably gets some laughs from all the pros ,but here goes...has anyone ever used a reel mower for a trim mower? I was thinking this might not be a bad thing to have on the trailer. If you have tight spots or very small areas that you can't get your big mower in why not grab the manual reel mower instead of the 21" or using a trimmer. It doesn't use any gas or oil ,takes up very little room ,easy to carry and very little maintenance. It seems like it would be quicker than a trimmer ,but then again I'm a rookie. Ok bring on the laughs I can take it.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmmm,

Sounds very interesting to me but what do I know I'm closer to a rookie than a pro.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There The Best Mower to Use If You Care about the Condition Of the Grass, But they don't Lift The Grass and Wet Grass is worse.

john.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
I even mow some bermuda yards with a power reel mower.But to use a regular push reel mower for trimming.The cut quality will be completely different.Ole rule of thumb is on reel mowers that once you start a lawn with them there is no way to match the cut cut.Reel mowers like locke,tru cut, and mclane are all top notch reel mowers.I would stick with a good 21 rotary mower.Better results and a lot less stress on you in the long run
Old 05-27-2003, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks johnhenry, that makes sense about the quality of cut. I guess I'll stick with the toro 21.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Must agree on the above comments regarding quality of cut, and John G's comment on a 21" rotary's lift is true - hard to do with a reel. If it's a pristine manicure you're after, you can't do better than a reel.

One thing I've noticed though, is that most manual push-reels may not actually trim as close as a 21" walk behind.

My Cub Cadet 21" can trim within an inch or so of a fence (if my hand doesn't get pinched in the process), but my 20" American reel can't seem to get that close. It always leaves 2.5" to 3" or so.

OK, not like that much string trimming is going to make the difference, but anyhow... just a couple of cents worth.

My reel stays at home and is used on my own front lawn.