Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM
BaxtersEssentialLawnCare BaxtersEssentialLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Aiken Sc
Posts: 299
Try having thousands stolen from you including a loaded gun taken from a parked car 10feet from where you and your wife are sleeping then talk. I'm not saying that is the best answer but a dead 1x time theif if better than a repeat offender. We need tougher laws then the theives will think twice. If you can break in and steal peoples stuff u can murder and rape and everything else. Crime for certian people is like pringles once you pop you just cant stop.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:07 PM
JDiepstra JDiepstra is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxtersEssentialLawnCare View Post
Try having thousands stolen from you including a loaded gun taken from a parked car 10feet from where you and your wife are sleeping then talk. I'm not saying that is the best answer but a dead 1x time theif if better than a repeat offender. We need tougher laws then the theives will think twice. If you can break in and steal peoples stuff u can murder and rape and everything else. Crime for certian people is like pringles once you pop you just cant stop.
Hahahha dont leave all that in your car duh!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
BaxtersEssentialLawnCare BaxtersEssentialLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Aiken Sc
Posts: 299
I left the gun in the car,the other stuff has been multiple incidents over the years. The night they got the gun they got over a dozen cars up and down the street. Shooting someone for that might be alittle harsh but I know where that comes from and I can't say that if I knew it was leagal and I saw someone jacking my stuff they just be dead paying with their life.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM
lawnman_scott lawnman_scott is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: st pete, FL
Posts: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxtersEssentialLawnCare View Post
I left the gun in the car,the other stuff has been multiple incidents over the years. The night they got the gun they got over a dozen cars up and down the street. Shooting someone for that might be alittle harsh but I know where that comes from and I can't say that if I knew it was leagal and I saw someone jacking my stuff they just be dead paying with their life.
Well i am out a 5 year old wallet that i liked, a note from my wife from long ago, 2 credit cards, a few receipts, and $13. I am still beyond pissed about it but are you saying you would shoot the loser over this? I am afraid that if you would that SC needs tougher laws regarding the right to carry, especially since you can't even control the weapons that you have, or had.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM
StihlMechanic's Avatar
StihlMechanic StihlMechanic is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zone 7/8 in Tejas
Posts: 1,136
It boils down to this IMO. Crime is everywhere, police and laws do nothing. Police only investigate crimes after the fact, they prevent nothing. Criminals are not as afraid of laws as they are afraid of being shot. I have lived in Texas 30 years, and in Ohio for 8 months. In the 8 months I lived in Ohio my car was broken into twice, I was robbed once. That was 3 crimes I alone experienced in 8 months, just minding my own business. Anyone I knew in Ohio warned me, for they had similar experiences. In Texas I have experienced no crime myself. Nothing is stolen, to break-ins, nothing. Of course I lock everything up, but still nothing has happened to me. I credit our loose guns laws. Citizens protect themselves, not laws, not the police.
__________________
The internet: where everyone is an expert on something.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,037
IDK, if a thief was in my house or property, I have a duty to protect my wife and kids so I would do whatever it takes to do that. The wellbeing of the thief is not forefront on my mind.....
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 AM
punt66's Avatar
punt66 punt66 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Simsbury CT
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
IDK, if a thief was in my house or property, I have a duty to protect my wife and kids so I would do whatever it takes to do that. The wellbeing of the thief is not forefront on my mind.....
a home invasion is not the same as breaking and entering or a petty theft. If a home invader entered my home while we were there it wold be a bad day for that person for sure. It is unfortunate that people leave guns in cars and in general have a lack of understading of their responsibility of gun ownership. The act of leaving a gun in a car has put that gun in a criminals hands to possibly kill. That isnow on YOU. (not referrig to anybody here)
__________________
JP Landscaping


SOLO OPERATION
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,685
Florida has a "stand your ground law" which has done little to deter crime. In fact several people wound up on the other side of the law using that as a defense argument. As for all the tough guys that say they woudnt hesitate to take a life, you obviously have never found yourself in that situation. There is no good feeling from it. You never "get used to it" unless you truly have no soul.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
scagrider22 scagrider22 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
It boils down to this IMO. Crime is everywhere, police and laws do nothing. Police only investigate crimes after the fact, they prevent nothing. Criminals are not as afraid of laws as they are afraid of being shot. I have lived in Texas 30 years, and in Ohio for 8 months. In the 8 months I lived in Ohio my car was broken into twice, I was robbed once. That was 3 crimes I alone experienced in 8 months, just minding my own business. Anyone I knew in Ohio warned me, for they had similar experiences. In Texas I have experienced no crime myself. Nothing is stolen, to break-ins, nothing. Of course I lock everything up, but still nothing has happened to me. I credit our loose guns laws. Citizens protect themselves, not laws, not the police.
Where in Ohio do you live? Ive lived in Ohio for 30 years and I dont think I even know anyone that has been robbed. Also Ohio and Texas gun laws are almost identical, you can shoot anyone who invades your private property and that includes your car even when your out on the road.
__________________
grk82
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 PM
BaxtersEssentialLawnCare BaxtersEssentialLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Aiken Sc
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott View Post
Well i am out a 5 year old wallet that i liked, a note from my wife from long ago, 2 credit cards, a few receipts, and $13. I am still beyond pissed about it but are you saying you would shoot the loser over this? I am afraid that if you would that SC needs tougher laws regarding the right to carry, especially since you can't even control the weapons that you have, or had.
This Sir is a moronic statement. In over a decade of handling firearms I HAVE NEVER LEFT A WEAPON UNSECURED. The gun was in a locked car. All my other firearms are secured under loak and key. The problem is and I'm gonna quote my Grandpa on this "a lock only keeps a honest person honest". I take every per cauation to insure my weapons are only accessable by people who should have that access. As to what I said is really the part left unsaid in the quote. If someone is bold enough to break into someone property to steal, whats to say they won't kill you? I keep upto date on all laws and I abide by them to the letter, but I personally feel that if we had the right to shoot to protect property there would be less crime. After the last time I had something stolen I have made it a point to open carry on my property and it has been quite sometime with out a single issue. So is the threat of death a deterant? I have my answer and you have yours. I will respect your choice and I hope you mine. I have had more experince with crimnals than I would like and that has taught me alot. I do everything in my power to deter theft but at the end of the day locks/chains/cameras only do so much. (I have all three in use) but I can assure you that the point they stop working a few hollow points will do the trick. I wish that sc would adopt the texas law and allow me the choice. Not to say I would but I want the option. As a side not sc does have a stand your ground law but you are only able to use force to counter force against you or another person, not property. I wish it would be different.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Page generated in 0.10680 seconds with 9 queries