Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That makes sense. Well good for you and you should be very proud of your brother. I don't know if it's illegal, but I'm not sure you can put llc on your stuff if your not an llc. Not sure tho, just something to check into. Look forward to seeig you do well keep us posted
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlandscaping View Post
I underbidded it in the early spring. Tell me what you think you would charge. 2 guys. 5 acres. 1 pool area. 20 minutes of trimming. 20 minutes of blowing and around 2 acres of bagging with the exmark. Where would you be?
I need a little more info. I dot really care about each task so much for this, rather how long it takes you two guys from start to finish and what equipment you have. I will tell you where I would be qt with my numbers but idk your costs, market, or desired margin so keep that in mind
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
I need a little more info. I dot really care about each task so much for this, rather how long it takes you two guys from start to finish and what equipment you have. I will tell you where I would be qt with my numbers but idk your costs, market, or desired margin so keep that in mind
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem. I thank you for the positive comments!

Exmark 60 inch turf tracer
Craftsman 48 inch rider
6 by 10 trailer
TWO-Toro 21 inch mowers
Honda rototiller
Small edger
Little Wonder high output blower
Craftsman backpack blower
Craftsman straight shaft trimmer
Craftsman Pressure Washer
MTD 40 inch clearing path snow blower
Stihl 18 inch farm boss=BEAST

DOING IT BIG AT 13 EXMARK
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very cool. If I'm not mistaken I saw the welcome to Hampton sign in your video? You around that area? I'm based in shaler but work all over the north hills. Also for shirts I saw you had some made. Check out rockitink.com he's local on 8 up toward butler and t shirts with one color were like 7$
1999 F350 Superduty
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
1998 6.5x16 Landscape trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 11-18-2011, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Try using double high lift blades. I refuse to bag anything besides leaves unless they want to pay me almost double what I would normally charge.

Also when you edge mulch beds, go along with a trimmer to get the edges perfectly straight up and down then throw your mulch in, but don't fill the edge full so they still see the edge.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your blades will thank you for not running over gravel driveways with the blades engaged
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the best pieces of advise I can give you is to learn from your mistakes. You can even learn from your pricing mistakes. It takes time to get the hang of things, don't be afraid to make mistakes...you just have to be sure to take something away from those experiences. Its going to be better for you now if you accidently underbid an account, as you are still young. You will soon get a better feel for what pricing should be, especially for your area.

Don't let people try and walk all over you. You may be young, but that doesn't mean that people should take advantage of you and try and cut down your pricing. Stand your ground on your pricing, its not worth making almost no money on jobs. Don't try and be something that your aren't, but understand that even though you're only 13, your services are still worth something.

Keep working hard at this and you will all see your hard work pay off down the road.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I underbidded it in the early spring. Tell me what you think you would charge. 2 guys. 5 acres. 1 pool area. 20 minutes of trimming. 20 minutes of blowing and around 2 acres of bagging with the exmark. Where would you be?
How many hrs does it take you? Here you really cannot make it on anything less than 60/a hr for 2 guys...plan on charging EVERYONE that next year. That probably would run about 150-200 depending on how its laid out for us.
OH....DON'T call the guy your "employee" until you really are paying him as an employee...i.e. FICA unemployment etc. Payroll is fun BTW. And all the other assorted paperwork associated with running a business. I called my guy(s) "helper(s)" until I got payroll going. But if you are ambitious I think you can handle all of it.
Have fun...get legal..make money...don't lowball...charge a good rate regardless of your age...oh and then have some more fun! And another thing...don't grow up too fast. I mean still be a kid somedays. Somedays I wish I could go back to 13 and start a lot of things over. But its part of life. Good luck!
Mike
17, Fully insured LLC, 1 employee, 2 scag riders and an exmark, not enough accounts.

Last edited by Mikegyver; 11-18-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hundred fifty bucks... Atleast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

That's cool that you have a promotional video. I might suggest to have less pictures but make sure the one's you post are quality. You want the lawns to be green and manicured. Also slow down the video a little bit, I felt like I didn't have enough time to see the picture before it flashed to the next one. Good luck!