Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

charity

Hey I was wondering if any of you ever donated a display to someone in the community. I have been thinking about doing it for someone in our community.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

We try to do that every year. Last year we put lights on a house for a friend of ours' son who was having major health issues - seizures and stuff - and couldn't work. They had 2 small kids and absolutely loved it. We also decorate for the City's Santa in the Park every year. I think if you have the lights and can do it - it's a great idea. Just a small way to "give back."
Old 11-19-2011, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

For the past several years, we have decorated a tree for an American Legion Post. The tree is located at their war memorial. We also try to find 1 other job like this every year.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we have done this in the past, but last year we had something happen that now we just donate money to charity.

true story-

last year we did 3 homes for charity , and the local christian radio station had folks write in to nominate families in need. I had a client that knew one of the clients, and she compalined about the job we did. multi colored c-9's across the front, garland on the door, mini-lights in bushes, very small home, but they were happy. the client was not. she demanded we do more. she of course, was wealthy, had a very large home, and we did snowflake links, wreaths, garland, mini-lights, etc, and paid about 1800 per year in rehang. although I explained to the client that we budgeted a certain amount of product and labor to do three homes with a simple job to make 3 families happy, rather than "doing one up" to make one family happy, we still went over to the home, did mini-lights on stake lights down the sidewalk and drive, no room for a wreath and no bushes, but after that the client now seemed fine. but there was no offer whatsoever from her to donate money or help this family. perhaps she did that on her own. then she hired another company to take her snowflakes down, she claimed we took her lights down earlier when in fact, we had not. we reported the "theft" to the police to cover us in the event she sued us for the product we did not take down. she reported us to the radio station that were cheap, and she did not pay us for her rehang.

so we no longer donate homes for charity. but we do donate additional money to our church and we decorate our church for free.

we also donate wreaths to charity auctions, and we sometimes hang them for folks for free and take them down.

you do this business long enough, you think you have seen everything. but some folks really have no limit to what they do.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been told many times....."no good deed goes unpunished".