Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Recommend a trailer for my operation

Guys,

Looking into an enclosed this offseason. I currently run a small 5x8 open utility, but find I would like to haul all of my mowing equipment on one trailer as opposed to just one or two items at a time.

I have measured the space I need. I can fit my 48" Z, 36" WB, and 21" mower in a 6x12 space. However this won't allow much room on the sides or rear for navigating. Should I instead look at a 7x12 or 7x14? Is dual axle a distinct advantage to a single runner? Just looking for thoughts.

Also, how much could I expect to spend in this size range?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-18-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Call brian at central trailer sales in east bethel, mn. He is on craigslist also, not full inventory on there but some. He sells a lot of trailers.

Duel axle will pull easier and put less weight on the truck. Depending on what you want to spend and how much you drive a aluminum frame makes the trailer much lighter also. He sells both and can order to your specs. For width go wide, you measure the mowers but you will most likely have trimmers/blowers hanging on the wall to walk around. Also think of the width of the mower with a bagging attachment (or one you might buy).

Also having the inside walls finished or some material is a good thing to keep dents from showing outside. Picture a mower coming loose inside and hitting the alum wall skin, it doesn't look good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I run a single axle 6 x 12 enclosed and and it is adequate for my needs. On mowing days I run a Quick 44 dually up front then a Quickie 32 and a yBroavo 25. Plus a few 96 gallon trash barrels.

My current tow vehicles are not really capable of pulling a more substantial "enclosed" trailer. My focus on mowing is generally smaller properties so there are no plans for any bigger trailers with heavier mowers and equipment. Iím toying with purchasing a full size truck with an 8 foot bed but I really would like to have a flat bed dovetail conversion custom configured for my needs and leave the trailer behind as much as possible.

This is really an issue of your tow vehicle, the kind of properties you run on and planned growth etc. Not sure how much your Z turn rider weighs but you might consider something with trailer brakes.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a good point with the bagger on a Z - with a 6'er that would be pretty tight with my 48" deck + bagger.

Also good point about tow vehicle. I run a 06 Dakota with the 4.7 v8. What I pull right now with the 1200 lb Z is no issue for it at all. I would think 7x12 or 14 trailer would not be too bad.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly I think you would be better off with a 7ft (or 8ft) by 16ft tandem axle trailer. The Dakota would be able to handle one and if you are worried you can go alum.

Why? Right now you can fit your equipment in a 6ft by 12ft space, I'm sure that is pretty tight. If you add 4ft to the length think about the options. You will be able to place your equipment for better weight distribution (think tongue weight). In spring with the dethatcher mounted in front even in the upright position adds length, plus a bagger in back. You can throw the permagreen in there if need be with the extra 4ft. If you go 8ft you might be able to position the 48" ztr and 36" w/b so you can get them past each other without moving both (still one in front of the other, saves time, saves starting up a mower/wear and tear).

I guess buying just what you now need doesn't make sense to me (a enclosed trailer has a longer life span then a ztr for most). Got to think of what you need 3 years from now, might be the same but could be different. Also the enclosed trailer is a shack if a downpour comes when mowing, pull the mower in and wait for the rain to move on. A rolling billboard also.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Guys,

I currently run a small 5x8 open utility, but find I would like to haul all of my mowing equipment on one trailer as opposed to just one or two items at a time.
Vague statement all equipment.

When I do my lawn's I bring a 42" riding JD and a 21" pusher, trimmer, blower, two gas cans, on a 4x8 trailer.

I would love to have a 6x12 trailer for hauling larger load debries on clean up jobs. So I'm not anti bigger trailer.

Though there is a group of LCO's that have to bring every tool they have when they leave the shop for the day. Tools they usually won't use often. But then complain how poor their gas mileage is pulling heavily loaded trailers.

Food for thought.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Get at least a 14 foot trailer. Width is important also. It is not just getting the equipment on the trailer. The trick is to get it off easily without having to unload everything. I just went from a 14 foot to a 16 foot x 7 foot totally enclosed trailer. The two feet is a big difference.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

something to think about is the re sale of trl a 14 ft or a16ft will not re sale for less than if you go with a 20ft a used 20ft box will bring almost the full cost as it did new .the car guys like them .
2-21' mowers
4-gas trimmers
4-gas blowers
3-back pack blowers
6x14 trailer/dovetail
7x18 open trailer / car
04 ford f-250 crew 4x4
2013 ford f-150 crew 4x4