Register free!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So with all the mini's out there, the zahn as being unquie, what do you guys feel is the best out there? VerMeer, toro, DW, BC, etc. Been looking but you guys info is great.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the ditch witch machines are way better then others. I have run them all, none come close. for tracks go with a sk650 for wheels get a zahn.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Supposedly the dw650 is the man. I have 3 dingos. 2 525s and a 425. The 525s I have 1500 hrs on them and the 425 has close to 1000. I haven't done anything to them except change the tracks. I have had 2 425s before these and did not have any break downs.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DW sk650 king of mini-skids....terex PT 30 also excellent, but an entirely different animal.

I own an sk650 I have used extensively a Vermeer s600tx and an mt 52.

The mt 52 sucks compared to the s600tx and the sk 650 really stands out over the s600tx. I have briefly used a dingo 425 tx to load an attachment into my truck and it has some pros, but isnt half the machine that the sk 650 is. If you were going to pull more pipe that anything else (>80% of usage) I would seriously consider the zahn. otherwise the versatility of the sk 650 will be the ticket
Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
the ditch witch machines are way better then others. I have run them all, none come close. for tracks go with a sk650 for wheels get a zahn.
do you think you can actually make more money per man hour with a ditch witch?

I have a tak tl140, and I don't think it make me any less money having a tl130. At least for landscaping.

I think the best machine is the one you can get a deal on used.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on what you are doing with the machine...an sk650 is by no means a do all machine, but it is our only piece of heavy equipment and we run the doors off of ours. We primarily do small projects and restorative work, some tree work and it is perfect.

Full pallets, heavy grading, moving large amounts of soil etc in wide open areas definitely not the fastest, but epic for what we do
Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For me - pipe usage - 50% rest of the time, moving materail in and out of yards, tight spaces where skid cant go, wheel barrel to many man hours - I rent as needed but tired of waiting for the machine, got it back on time, never have the right attachement, I would use the vib plow, auger, bucket and forks mainly. Used is the way to go for me at this point. You guys that own these machines - do you have primary trailer with everything on it?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont pull any pipe so this would be tough for me. i know that if you are just shuttling material the zahn should have less damage to turf

I use mine to pull out shrubs, scarf sod, excavate for sidewalks, patios, and walls, grading, harley rakes, rotadairon etc. also use the auger
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
depends on what you are doing with the machine...an sk650 is by no means a do all machine, but it is our only piece of heavy equipment and we run the doors off of ours. We primarily do small projects and restorative work, some tree work and it is perfect.

Full pallets, heavy grading, moving large amounts of soil etc in wide open areas definitely not the fastest, but epic for what we do
No I meant how much more productive would the dw650 be over a bobcat m52 or mt55?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
For me - pipe usage - 50% rest of the time, moving materail in and out of yards, tight spaces where skid cant go, wheel barrel to many man hours - I rent as needed but tired of waiting for the machine, got it back on time, never have the right attachement, I would use the vib plow, auger, bucket and forks mainly. Used is the way to go for me at this point. You guys that own these machines - do you have primary trailer with everything on it?
I think the trailer is a joke. How many times do you need every attachment on the job at the same day? If you like having the attachments on the trailer, it could be fabbed up cheaper than you can buy the factory version.