Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I forget the details, but I think my truck policy would cover any liability relating from my trailer but not damage to the trailer itself. In any case, I would suggest checking with your agent to be sure as different policies have different exclusions.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Well to be honest insurance (trailer specific) i havent considered. Which either way would not make or break my decision, and jus for anyone wanting to be negative we have work comp, 1,000,000 liab, etc. Anyways my main concern is the approx $8000 price tag which isnt that big of a deal EXCEPT... My concern is most of our bulk material ie. landscape mix, mulch, rock we have delivered and figured into the estimate. Now, my ? is does it pay off to pay a laborer to go get that material instead of have delivered? I could use those hands getting old beds ripped out n and getting beds prepped while dirt contractor is delivering... But i also have to realize for smaller jobs i know it would be benificial. Guess im just wanting other lcos 2cents. I know there are negatives and positives, jus wondering if its more of a want than a need!?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did a job today,would have been $75 to deliver the crushed stone. Went and got it myself with the dump trailer in 3/4 hour and billed the $75 and kept the revenue inhouse. Now if it was 10 tons instead of 3 I would have had it delivered.

What do you usually do for waste hauling? I think someone else mentioned you can leave it onsite for use as a dumpster essentially.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In mass. The trailer is covered by the towing vehicles insurance. As far as the want compared to the need for the dump trailer I guess it would be my opinion that if I didn't have dump trucks that I would need a dump trailer. But since I do having a dump trailer is a luxury but as stated earlier I do think that if you multi purpose that trailer that it can be an asset. Good luck with your decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We run an F350 with a 6x10 4 ton Bri-Mar dump trailer. Paid about 4300 for it, and have had it for 3 years now. I love it, the crew loves it. We can haul alot with it, its nice to have a something that we can leave on a job site with a crew, and have the truck out servicing another jobsite.

I'd love to get another larger dump trailer at some point.
2003 Haulmark 6x14 Enclosed trailer
Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my plan is to get a dump trailer for myself as soon as possible, that way I can still ahve a personal truck!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a dump trailer. You'll never regret that purchase. It will make your life so much easier.

Regarding insurance. If you have a private (individual) policy, the tow vehicles insurance will cover the trailer...if it's not being used commercially. If you have commercial insurance on your truck (which is most often cheaper than an Individual policy), that insurance will only cover the truck. With commercial insurance, everything needs a policy. In the event that the trailer became separated from the tow vehicle and caused damage you would be liable - if you didn't have a policy on the trailer.