Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plant royalties and protections

I have a few plants at the place I work that I have taken cuttings of for personal use and to replace losses at work. I was thinking about supplying the plants to my work next year.

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if a certain plant that I want to grow to sell is protected and how to go about getting a license to grow the plant?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenzelOSLLC View Post
I have a few plants at the place I work that I have taken cuttings of for personal use and to replace losses at work. I was thinking about supplying the plants to my work next year.

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if a certain plant that I want to grow to sell is protected and how to go about getting a license to grow the plant?
Wenzel

As long as you do it in good faith with Due Diligence you should be good. Let your conscience be your guide.

Of course DNA can be patented, but Protecting that patent falls on the Patent owner. The cost of pursuing and the ability to collect damage to cover those cost is non existent. Just finding and testing your plants takes a army of detectives.

Stay away from Agriculture crops because Large Companies like Monsanto will pursue damages etc just for the principle and not care about costs. They have Lawyer on staff in their legal department.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's what you can do as well. Find plants that are going into expiration in regards to their patent. Normally they will stop producing these as a way to keep a foothold on growers. With these plants you can propagate them a your will as long as the patent has expired. If you need more info go to www.freeplants.com
Br600
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer