Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

scag 52'' hydro wb

my walk behind has a very bad leak around the valve stem and i would like to remove the wheel and take it to be fixed. my problem is i have no idea how to take it off. i removed the cotter pin out of the big nut in the center and tryed to loosen it and it wouldn't move, is that the nut that i remove to take the wheel off or is it the 4 other nuts on the wheel. thanks for any help
Scag 36'' belt drive walk behind
2-Echo srm 210 Weed Wacker
Echo Pb770T
Echo Hc-1500 Hedge Trimmer
Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is no need to remove the wheel/tire to replace the valve stem. Jack the unit up so the wheel is off the ground and break down the bead off the rim. Once there you can push the tire back far enough from the rime to use knife to cut off the portion of the valve stem that is inside the rim. Clean the area, insert a new valve stem from the back side of the rim and pull through with a pair of needle nose pliers until it pops into place. Or you can spend $5 on a stem repair T tool that will thread onto the threaded portion of the valve stem then use needle nose to pull through, thus preventing any damage to the threads.

If you intend to remove only the wheel/tire, it is not necessary to remove the large hex nut that retains the wheel hub to the hydro shaft. Remove the 4 lug nuts and wheel/tire should come off the hub.

I thought all 16 year olds were internet savvy!!! If you don't have an owners manual, do a little research on 'net--go to Scag's website. You will find online parts and owner manuals there--you can learn a bunch about your unit from the parts breakdown/owners manual, particularly if you're not mechanically inclined.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks, and im actully very mechanically inclined. but when i tryed to remove those lugs they wouldn't budge even with my impact gun thats why i asked, i wasnt sure if those where the nuts to remove or not. but after all that i was able to remove the wheel and put in a new valve. thanks for the quick answer.
Scag 36'' belt drive walk behind
2-Echo srm 210 Weed Wacker
Echo Pb770T
Echo Hc-1500 Hedge Trimmer