Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_246B View Post
I live in a small town and there is no way I could get $100 an hour, but I would be 1 of maybe 2 people doing something like this, and I was thinking about $65-$70 an hour. Do you think that it would be a fair price?
You can get that much, it sounds like more than it is. If you rent and charge 70 your not making much. I would charge around there to start with though, because youll get alot more efficient later. Dont tell customers a rate. They think they want to know but they dont.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly, you can't make it with just a skid steer and a mini excavator, my business FAILED after 8 years of having just a skid steer, and not enough work to keep myself busy, take my advice, run like hell from your own business and go work for some one else. All it takes is a few low ballers and bad customers and your business will hemorrhage money, operating costs will be at par with what you take in, even at $70 per hour, I was charging that much and it still failed. My brother charges $85 for his Cat 277C and he's not rolling in cash with that machine, it's only because he has 3 other machines paid for that he can afford to keep it, he was pretty much forced to buy his own truck, trailer, and skid steer after I sold everything.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Honestly, you can't make it with just a skid steer and a mini excavator, my business FAILED after 8 years of having just a skid steer, and not enough work to keep myself busy, take my advice, run like hell from your own business and go work for some one else. All it takes is a few low ballers and bad customers and your business will hemorrhage money, operating costs will be at par with what you take in, even at $70 per hour, I was charging that much and it still failed. My brother charges $85 for his Cat 277C and he's not rolling in cash with that machine, it's only because he has 3 other machines paid for that he can afford to keep it, he was pretty much forced to buy his own truck, trailer, and skid steer after I sold everything.
It all depends on how you are getting your business. I do alot of subcontract work for a few different contractors, that keeps my machine going. During the winter my macines will be just as busy.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for being honest with me, I know I don't have the best idea ever, but I hope it will work. If you have any ideas on what I could do, please let me know. I have a few ideas, but I don't know if it will be enough. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

my thoughts exactly!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
It all depends on how you are getting your business. I do a lot of subcontract work for a few different contractors, that keeps my machine going. During the winter my machines will be just as busy.
What would entice these prime contractors to hire someone just starting out with one machine and no experience?

The only thing I know of is price, not a good way to get started if you can avoid it.

As a sub contractor you will have to offer a lot to compete with his current sub's. The good General Contractors that pay your invoice on time already has experienced well equipped sub contractors fighting for his business.

How did I start out, first I worked for general contractors that never paid me or took for ever. Did this so I could build a reputation and learn how to not only do the work but deal with GC's. Then I purchased a mini ex, dump trail, small dump truck, trailer, dozer, larger ex, hand tools, shop and the list goes on and on.

After a while you start to do work for better and better GC's and it gets easier. The residential is the only work that pays you before or as you do the work in my experience. Hard to get enough of that to keep skid and even a mini going unless you are doing landscape, hard scape, masonry etc.

Last edited by jmacd; 11-29-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to add to the post above, I could only do this with good credit and some money to start with.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I do have experience, just not as much as you guys I never thought of working for contractors anyway, because there is not that many in town and they wouldn't hire me anyways. I plan on doing any job I can get my hands on. I also know that it won't be easy and I accept that fact. I would like to get into the landscape side of things though, if I can.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

One more point, then I will leave it alone, sorry.

Here every landscaper, paver, farmer and concrete guy has a skid steer.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

It's totally ok jmacd!, I take what you said very seriously. I like how all you of give your advice willingly to people like me. I take all of it seriously because you have gone through what I have to. I am putting money away during the winter, so I can have enough saved to get started in spring.......hopefully. Here are some of my ideas. Tilling, trenching, post hole drilling, because I live in a farming community, cleaning ditches, removing old concrete, etc. I would willingly accept any other ideas. Thanks again.