The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Baileys.com
all chain saw parts great prices
Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have rebuilt several dozen 1127 series saws scored up just like this. They very often have a cracked fuel line right where it exits the tank. This causes a lean condition, and scored top end. Straight gas does the same.

Those cylinders can very often be cleaned up with muratic acid, and re-used. I have had about 50% success on cleaning them up. If they do not have grooves in them, they can almost always be re-used. Add a $30 piston and you're back in business.

If you do not want to go that route, there are several folks that part out brand new 290's on Ebay. I think NEW engines complete sell for about $130. that is OEM, not aftermarket.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites is giving you some very poor, ill informed advice.

You ought to check out ARBORISTSITE, in the chainsaw section and do a search on aftermarket Stihl parts. Those guys live and breathe chainsaws and have loads of experience with installing big bore kits, porting them, rebuilding them, etc.
As far as just a piston kit, including piston, rings, connecting rod and circlip, I've heard those guys vouch for the quality of Meteor and Episan parts. Both brands are commonly available on eBay for a fraction of the cost of Stihl replacement parts (roughly $30 versus $100 or so for the comparable Stihl parts). As another poster mentioned, Bailey's has begun selling piston/cylinder kits for many saws for about $120.

I don't think you'll have any problem getting parts for the 029. Good luck with the rebuild.

I've got a guy giving me a Stihl MS 211 with a holed piston that I'm going to try and rebuild, but unfortunately that saw is so new I can't find the aftermarket piston for it yet.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Topsites is giving you some very poor, ill informed advice.

You ought to check out ARBORISTSITE, in the chainsaw section and do a search on aftermarket Stihl parts. Those guys live and breathe chainsaws and have loads of experience with installing big bore kits, porting them, rebuilding them, etc.
As far as just a piston kit, including piston, rings, connecting rod and circlip, I've heard those guys vouch for the quality of Meteor and Episan parts. Both brands are commonly available on eBay for a fraction of the cost of Stihl replacement parts (roughly $30 versus $100 or so for the comparable Stihl parts). As another poster mentioned, Bailey's has begun selling piston/cylinder kits for many saws for about $120.

I don't think you'll have any problem getting parts for the 029. Good luck with the rebuild.

I've got a guy giving me a Stihl MS 211 with a holed piston that I'm going to try and rebuild, but unfortunately that saw is so new I can't find the aftermarket piston for it yet.
There are as many denoucing the blackmarket parts as not, on that site.
It's a subject that there will never be a "correct" answer.

Last edited by ricky86; 11-27-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
There are as many denoucing the blackmarket parts as not, on that site.
It's a subject that there will never be a "correct" answer.
Ricky,
Aftermarket parts are those parts made by someone other than the original equipment manufacturer.
Black market parts are parts sold illegally. It isn't the same thing, but it might explain your bias.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't want to get into a long debate. Just stating many on that site are not as big a fan of aftermarket/blackmarket parts as you say. There have been many problems from circlip failure to plating peeling. No bias at all. I've used them, knowing the risks going in. You get what you pay for. As for them being legal...... Everthing out of China is legal,
Isn't it?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Don't want to get into a long debate. Just stating many on that site are not as big a fan of aftermarket/blackmarket parts as you say. There have been many problems from circlip failure to plating peeling. No bias at all. I've used them, knowing the risks going in. You get what you pay for. As for them being legal...... Everthing out of China is legal,
Isn't it?
Can you spell Z-A-M-A ? Lets see, are they made in Joisey? I think NOT.........

......AMF!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What the f**k are you talking about.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaters View Post
I am not sure I would rebuild a good saw with junk parts though as the aftermarket parts are made in china from what I have seen.

Originally posted by Ricky86
As for them being legal...... Everthing out of China is legal,
Isn't it?
Meteor pistons are made in Italy, not China
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITALY-Meteor...item3a6ab0e698

Here's a thread on what the guys on Arboristsite think:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/161834.htm

To the OP:
What did you decide to do. I'd like to hear your results when you have any.