Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

website or not?

For those who have had a professional website made, do you think it pays off to have a website? Do you pick up regular accounts with it or are door hanger or direct mailing better?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard to say. I have online ads and it seems like most people don't make it to my website, they just call the number on the online ad. I feel better having one because I can show off my work. It may also help make the customer feel a bit better when they call or email me.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I built our company website, currently in the middle of transferring our blog over. Yes it has paid off! BIG TIME! !

Having a business website can only increase sales. Personally we've been out of the phone book for the past almost 2 years and we've grown 23% in that period. I will never give up on fliers though, for this is how I got my biz off the ground. It really is an extra additive to get customers to your site.

Now website real talk. Is your phone ringing more than twice a day from customers needing your services? OK it's time to take the plunge man! FACE it...the phone book is dead!
You can most definitely build your own site or have someone who knows how to build one for you (like me) INTUIT has some good options, but would steer you more towards WordPress. AWESUM! ! !

Business owners like us need to stick together and give each other tips & help during these uncertain times. I know it sounds like a sales job(well that's part of my job) but if you want a really good website built cheap, good luck with that. If you want a great website built for a discounted cost, simply because your in the same niche as I, contact me when you're ready. Bryan Ring
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, we get a lot of inquiries, estimates, off the website, and we have several customers to like the PAY NOW button to pay their bill every month, it does cost a couple bucks to accept payments but it does come in handy...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definately recommend a web site. I think these days everyone needs one at least unless you have more business than you can handle.

The landscaping side of my business is a little different than yours likely is. I only do hydroseeding.

When I first started I spent about 7 grand running ads in every penny saver within 40 miles and a few newpapers. That generated about 7 grand in business. Not a good move.

Then I went with a yellow page ad in 3 or 4 books for $ 200.00 a month or so and that got me 3 or 4 calls a month in season.

At that time any time I saw a new house under construction I would stop and leave a flyer.

Then I got a listing with the hydroseeding assoc which only cost me $ 100.00 and that got me far more business than the others.

Then I added a web site and coupled with the membership my phone rings off the hook. I would say I now get about 120 calls a year for hydroseeding. Before the web site it was probably 40 from the association. A small percentage comes from word of mouth but the web site made a really big difference. They can see what my services are and see photos of my jobs and the types of jobs I do. It is just a great showcase for your services.

Even if you do your own it is worth it but having a good site is important. My cost for the web site is virtually nothing.

Personally I would not trade a web site for 1000 door hangers and really would hate to go out and hang 1000 door hangers.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a website and get seo work to get you to first page on google and answer the phone.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so I broke down and put a deposit down for them to start the design process. They said it usually takes around 30 to 40 days to complete depending on how long it takes me to get them the information and so fourth.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlawn View Post
Ok so I broke down and put a deposit down for them to start the design process. They said it usually takes around 30 to 40 days to complete depending on how long it takes me to get them the information and so fourth.
From Where or Whom?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
From Where or Whom?

http://www.landscaperwebsites.com

They specialize in the green industry, I am getting the standard package. I like some of the tools that they have came up with for the green industry.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlawn View Post
http://www.landscaperwebsites.com

They specialize in the green industry, I am getting the standard package. I like some of the tools that they have came up with for the green industry.
2 Grand seems like quite a bit....