Register free!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats best ingredient to kill GRUB WORMS?

Hey all I once had grubs about 2 years ago and was recommended a product that i purchased either at HD or lowes that had a specific chemical which i was told worked best for grubs and indeed it worked after about 3 days thay had all been killed. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what product that is and more importantly what the chemical ingredient is. i know several products have diffrent ingredients but the one i used was great. thanks for the help. John
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDJS View Post
Hey all I once had grubs about 2 years ago and was recommended a product that i purchased either at HD or lowes that had a specific chemical which i was told worked best for grubs and indeed it worked after about 3 days thay had all been killed. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what product that is and more importantly what the chemical ingredient is. i know several products have diffrent ingredients but the one i used was great. thanks for the help. John
John,

I am assuming you are a homeowner looking for a affordable solution that you can apply with ease on your own lawn. I recommend Clothianidin... or by the trade name ARENA. You should be able to find Arena packaged as Grub Control by Greenlight or Chinch Bug Control by Greenlight at Home Depot or Lowes. I am not sure which one but one carries (at least here) and the other does not. If neither of them carry it you can buy the name brand Arena package at John Deere Lesco if you have one close too you. If not another option would be to check your local garden shop if they carry fertilizer etc.

Product cost is going to be roughly $17 to cover 5K of turf I believe but it has been a good amount of time since I have used it so that may not be accurate.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What part of the country?? Its rather late for anywhere north of Wash DC. And it depends on what time of year. Early fall grub treatment around here is Bayer's 24 hour Grub control--contains Dylox (triclorfon). Also a few other brands. It can be used on mature grubs but it only lasts about 3 days.

Better bet is Scotts Grub-Ex. It is applied as a preventative about when grub eggs will hatch in your area. June or July in Michigan. Protects you for a full year. Costs about $20 for 5000 sqft.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
What part of the country?? Its rather late for anywhere north of Wash DC. And it depends on what time of year. Early fall grub treatment around here is Bayer's 24 hour Grub control--contains Dylox (triclorfon). Also a few other brands. It can be used on mature grubs but it only lasts about 3 days.

Better bet is Scotts Grub-Ex. It is applied as a preventative about when grub eggs will hatch in your area. June or July in Michigan. Protects you for a full year. Costs about $20 for 5000 sqft.
It's the FLORIDA Forum...

I hope he wouldn't ask for advice here if he lives in Maine; Brownsville, Texas maybe.