Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
A foliar orthene spray (or bifertin) followed by a Imidacloprid root injection very early in the spring has proved to be efficacious for six - eight months bringing us into the cold season. Unfortunately our warm season (zone 9/10) is dragging on into December and the fly is endemic. We will treat topically for control until the temperatures abate.

I'm sure IGR's are effective. Like plantculture said, ficus is everywhere from hedges to trees. Not everybody treats so while a IGR would be effective on the existing larvae & pupae on a given plant, it would only be re-infested in short order from neighboring ficus thus demanding more spraying which would result in the eradication of beneficial insects.

Next year the game plan is a foliar spray & to inject Dinetefuran, Clothianadin and Imidacloprid in rotation and only as necesary for control. I'm hoping FL will aprove thiamethoxam for lawn and garden use soon; I know these are all neonicotinoids.

Another genus of white fly is moving up the peninsula, gumbo limbo white fly. Unlike the fig, which is apparently finicky, the gumbo limbo is not and has a voracious appetite. Last I heard (end of October) it was as far north as Hollywood Florida. It's this fly I'm hoping to hear some field experience about.
Ive seen and treated spiraling whitefly in Palm beach and West palm. Giant whitefly is also a new one i have encountered
Also Meridian 25sg (thiamethoxam) is labeled for residential.. Am I missing something with FL not allowing it's use?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
To add, I am very careful about clothianidin and dinotefuran because they do not last. Properly applied imidacloprid lasts for up to 12 months if not longer in my area.
Unfortunately many landscapers are buying granular aloft by the ton and applying it to hedges, without understanding that the bifenthrin is a waste and leaching through our sandy soils. Thats besides the fact that clothianidin is rather water soluble.
I also prefer imidacloprid for its long lasting residual.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It makes it really hard when "landscapers" do things like this. That is a good way to ensure that Florida bans clothianidin and bifenthrin. I have never broadcast granular systemics under trees and shrubs in the landscape. I have used granular imidacloprid for nursery stock growing in containers where I have control over where the water goes. Much less ever entertained the idea of using a combination of a pyrethroid and neonicotinoid. Folks, once these two classes of insecticides are no longer useful, I cannot imagine the EPA bringing back the likes of dimethoate or endosulfan. On the rare property here that is on sand, I have applied Merit WP as a banded stream application around tree trunks or under hedges and shrubs.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It makes it really hard when "landscapers" do things like this. That is a good way to ensure that Florida bans clothianidin and bifenthrin. I have never broadcast granular systemics under trees and shrubs in the landscape. I have used granular imidacloprid for nursery stock growing in containers where I have control over where the water goes. Much less ever entertained the idea of using a combination of a pyrethroid and neonicotinoid. Folks, once these two classes of insecticides are no longer useful, I cannot imagine the EPA bringing back the likes of dimethoate or endosulfan. On the rare property here that is on sand, I have applied Merit WP as a banded stream application around tree trunks or under hedges and shrubs.
Green

Dimethoate, Endosulfan and Chlorpyrifos are still Ag Labelled product that can be purchased without a license in Florida and almost every other state. It is the the powerful lobby that Agriculture has that allows farmer to keep chemicals that we are ban from using. That right we can't spray a shrub with these products but Farmers can spray 100's of acres with them.

As for miss planting of invasive species, It happens every day. The problem comes because anyone can claim to be a landscape designer and there are no regulations that says they can't. Every day I see landscapes growing out of perspective because of poor design. OH Sure they looked beautiful the day they were installed. But because the designer had no real landscape knowledge, the design soon out grows the Landscape.

Another pet peeve of mine is the Over Loading of plants in the Beds. Landscapers think they need to restock all their inventory into that one yard in order to justify a big price. How many times do we see over grown landscapes here in Florida. These people who claim to be landscaper don't have a clue as to how fast plants grow in a subtropic climate.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Unfortunately there are chemicals in other classes than neonic's and thrins that would be effective in rotation, but many are not labeled for residential use.
Managing thrips in a monoculture of new guinea impatiens is getting rather difficult with what we are allowed to use. I know the obvious is to not plant a monoculture but thats not an option.
It would be nice if more products allowed in greenhouses could be used in residential landscapes.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
I know the obvious is to not plant a monoculture but thats not an option.
That is one of the big downfalls with our southern turfgrasses vs. our neighbors to the north too I think. Instead of having a blend of different turfs that look nice together, we are very focused down here on having that mono stand of St. Augustine or Mono Stand of Zoysia - which of course when they experience a failure - the lawn has failed vs our neighbors to the north which may have one cultivator experience a disease but the turf keeps a healthy looking appearance overall because the other seed takes it place as it might not be affected - when the weather is not favorable it is favorable for the other seed selection if it was given some consideration. The same for pest pressure I would assume but am not positive about. I would assume that with the blends available to avoid pest pressures - making application of pesticides reduced and less resistance I would assume.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantculture View Post
Ive seen and treated spiraling whitefly in Palm beach and West palm. Giant whitefly is also a new one i have encountered
Also Meridian 25sg (thiamethoxam) is labeled for residential.. Am I missing something with FL not allowing it's use?
You're not missing anything. Thiamethoxam was recomended by the City of Hollywood as an effective treatment for the control of whitefly. When I went to look it up, I found labels for agricultural use only. My bad

I'm in the Delray Beach area, west of the intercoastal. I have not seen the spiraling or giants. I spoke to my pest controler, he said he hadn't seen them this far North either.

Thanks for the heads up!