Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i do one time cuts, if the lawn is nicely manicured i give them a nice price for it, if the lawn is wild and out of control i give them a wild and out of control price for it.
Gravely 34z w/ bagger
Toro Commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ-7500
Redmax 3060 TS
Stihl BR 600 Magnum
Stihl FS-110 R (2)
Mclane edger

-Full time student
-19 years old.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been cutting for almost 20 years and the now and then one time cut turns into a regular sometimes. People get older they get better jobs etc. they don't want to cut there lawn anymore.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have several "one time" customers that are actually some of my best customers. They will call me when their mower breaks, when they go out of town or when they just couldn't get around to it that week. The majority of them have nice lawns and like to keep tbem well maintained.

By doing these one time accounts (which ends up being a few times every season for each) I am able to pull in a little extra money every year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a lot of people use the request for a one-time mowing as a way to evaluate the service. If they like the way it goes, they will sign a contract. They figure if they don't like it, they will be free to give someone else a try.

When I'm approached for a one-time mow I always charge at least double the normal rate, but let them know that if they sign a contract within 2 weeks the second mowing will be free.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We'll do them if close to our route.
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
4 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringahding View Post
Does your company offer One time Mowing?
Just trying to figure out what the connection was with the video and “one time mowing”......
Old 12-08-2011, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaMowing View Post
I think a lot of people use the request for a one-time mowing as a way to evaluate the service. If they like the way it goes, they will sign a contract. They figure if they don't like it, they will be free to give someone else a try.

When I'm approached for a one-time mow I always charge at least double the normal rate, but let them know that if they sign a contract within 2 weeks the second mowing will be free.
I think you might be right, I never thought of doing it that way, I just charge as I stated earlier if it just needs to be cut, I charge a small up charge, but if its over grown I double it and explain its a double cut. I also have the conversation with people about how much it would cost to cut regularly - and I always define regularly as at my discreation I tell I don't cut grass just to cut grass it has to look nice and if its been dry I will skip them, and if I have a property that say the back yard is direct sun light and the front spot shade so growth in the front and absolutely none in the back or one whole side, I will bill them accordingly. I would say most of the time I will get agreement right then or they will call me in a couple of days and ask me to begin work.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i never "offer" one time mows.

if someone calls up and wants one i will take it on if my schedule is not already full. the only time that usually happens in at the end of summer when there is a lack of rain. spring, most of summer and fall are pretty booked for me.

depending on how long the grass is will depend on the price.

location has no affect. i don't care if your right next door to an exsisting client, if my schedule is full it's full.

in my neck of the woods one time cuts are usually those who can't or don't want to afford a regular lawn service. most of the time the grass hasn't been cut in months. they will either get you to knock it down once and try and not pay and then call someone else when it needs it again or they will just call you every 3 months or when they feel like it.

i had this couple do that to me earlier this year. guy called me up and wanted an estimate. came out and looked and it hadn't been cut in like 3 months. gave him a price and he didn't realize grass cutting was that "expensive" he said. but agreed so i cut it, invoiced him. he didn't pay. 2 months later his wife called and wanted me to come back out and cut the grass again. i said not until you pay the previous invoice and the new service dated ahead. they paid it ahead and i cut it. hadn't been cut since the last time i cut it. then again 2 months down the road called and wanted it cut again. i didn't call them back that time.

i'm not gonna show up every 2 months or when you feel like it and spend all that time getting the lawn in shape only to have you let it go inbetween my services.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, there's a difference between maintenance and reclamation. I have some bi-weekly accounts that make me feel like I'm on reclamation duty every time I'm there and it only gets worse as time goes on. I will consider the one time cuts but I will not do the "I'll call you when it needs it routine"...been there, done that, have the T-shirt and it sucks.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I read the the link. Another reason why you can't believe a customer when they say the last guy only charged.....

I had a small cleanup this fall. Told the lady $366 to do it. She countered with the guy last year did it for $150. Told her as any business speech my costs have to be covered. Enough money has to be made to buy a new truck, trailer, or what ever equipment wears out or I will be out of business. Got the job.

And I didn't ask what happened to the last guy.
I always say get the other guy or company!

Tags
lawn , lawn mowing , lawn mowing services